My new purchase... 1952 Hudson Wasp Hollywood...

2»

Comments

• I am now the lucky owner of Monkeyspinners '52 Wasp Hollywood. Loving this thread, some great info on here and i'm hoping to find out some history on this VIN :smiley:
  • Cool car, how far will you go with fixing her up?
  • Not very far for now, I love the patina and just to have it on the road will be enough. Got plenty of time to worry about a full resto. Are there any hudson owners in the uk?
  • If you can get it on the road that would be great. Working with the patina can be fun and it makes the car interesting.
  • this my 52
  • Supercab - Yeah I have never worked with a patina car before so that's an adventure in itself hahaa any tips on keeping it healthy?

52husonman - And what a beautiful car you have! I really think a creamy colour on a '50s american sled works wonders, it radiates '50s luxury automobile! I'm thinking a dark metallic blue would really suite the car...after all, I am a blues kind of guy!
  • One definitely has work within their means on a project like yours. The price of the car plus needed parts to make it a runner at least, compared to potential resale price.
    I can tell you what I've done on old pressed steel motorcycle frames but many will oppose- clean the undersides as best as possible, apply many coats of paint to seal. Strip down to clean metal around the body edges with paint to match, blushing into the larger surfaces. Thin out some matching paint with mineral spirits and blush into the rust for some color. Then coats of satin Rustoleum clear coat. Pretty cheap to do. If you run across someone else's money for a restoration, then of course, disassemble the car completely, strip to bare metal and go from there.
  • Well thats it isn't it, I'm not bursting any balls or financially impeding my family to get it on the road, it'll all happen when the time is right. The fact that it's still with us is the most important thing. I definitely need to get underneath and give it a good clean and underseal, however, I didn't think there would be so much to keeping the patina as is. I'm naive enough to think its just a case of wash any grease sediment away then wax coat it. One day it'll get a full tear down
  • I usually just peck away at projects like this and the fun is having something to plan and think about as I go along.
  • I know it's not for everyone, but I think the Derelict type restos are kinda cool. It's definitely one way to salvage a classic without going completely broke. In fact, that's what drove this guy to start doing these. He noticed how expensive a total restoration was getting. Somewhere there is a clip from Jay Leno's Garage where he shows him the first one and Jay was pretty skeptical until he drove it.
    https://www.icon4x4.com/derelict