questions/advice/information for a 1953 hudson super wasp

2»

Comments

• Pics 
  • ski4life65
    ski4life65 Expert Adviser
    Looks awesome.
  • I’m still having a hard time figuring out a price on this car. She wants 5. I don’t want to give more than 3. The car hasn’t been running or probably even started in years so I don’t know what to expect. 
  • Browniepetersen
    Browniepetersen Senior Contributor
    Back in February I said I would walk away at $3,000--before I had seen any photos.  Now that I have seen the photos, and, knowing it is along way from rust free.  I would walk away from this car at any price.  To make this car a dependable (a lot of different opinions on dependable) you are $20,000 away from driving it around.  You can do much better and have a collectable car that will increase in value each year you own it.  She wants 5K.  No way is it worth that.  Now, I have to state that this is my opinion--someone, with no experience with Hudson's or someone that has their own shop and really want this exact car may pay that for it.  I think if you did you would always feel that you made a bad deal...  By the way, you first posted in early February and it is now early May.  If it was a good deal it would have been sold long before now...  Just saying?
  • 20k away from driving it around? That seems a bit extreme... I know it needs work but it’s far from a rust bucket or basket case and it appears that it did have work done to it at one point of another. Even if it needed a full engine rebuild which is impossible to determine through photos, where is your 20k figure Coming from? I should have prefaced it by saying I’m looking to clean it up and drife it as is and concerned with if the engine is ok. 
  • I hear what you’re saying about the timing but the car is stored far from where the owner lives and we’ve also been dealing with a lockdown for the past few months now so i didn’t really find it too odd that she still has it. I of course want to make a good deal but my concern is with the engine and trans. Not With any minor surface rust or flaws on the body. It’s still a good looking car to me 
  • 50C8DAN
    50C8DAN Senior Contributor
    Well it is a 3spd so the chances of the trans having issues are much less than an automatic.  The clutch is a bit of a concern if it is stuck.  I cannot remember if you said you can turn the engine by hand or not, but that would be a good thing to try.  It definitely was a repaint (appears dark green originally) and you probably should try a magnet to see if it is loaded with bondo or has any major bodywork.  Yes, there is rust in the front bubbling up around the lights and bumper, so I would get under there and see if it is really bad or not.  The interior does look really nice and well cared for and it looks at least it was not left outside to deteriorate.  Looking at my 2017 Old Cars guide for a 1953 Wasp in #4 condition it lists $3920.  These prices are always subject to debate but it appears you are in the right ballpark.  If you just want to drive it and put minimal money in it $3,500 to $4,000 I don't think is out of line.  Engine rebuild if three are issues will run you in the $2.5 to 4K area depending on what all you have done.  I am betting this will probably fire up with a little work.  I would get a battery, a jug of gasoline, do not use any from the tank and see if you can get it going.
  • drivergo2
    drivergo2 Expert Adviser
    If I had the space and the time and some extra cash I would do it . Do you have a understanding wife ,the children’s collage funds it could get expensive. All hobby’s are expensive and we only go around once .

• Browniepetersen
    Browniepetersen Senior Contributor
    Bigbry, I am sorry if I offended you with my comments.  My intent was to give you my opinion, from my experience and with my understanding of these cars most would tell you that a car, not running, that has sat for some time most likely will have hidden mechanical and driveline issues.  Any rust in a Hudson needs attention and pitting bright parts cost quite a bit to repair properly.  I added the comment that daily driver has different meaning to different people.  For me, any Hudson should be reliable enough to get in it and drive it anywhere within the United States and not have the stress of it breaking down.  So, if I misspoke please forgive me.  I would stand by my recommendation to take it to Doug Wildrick and get an idea of what it would take to make it the car you would want to drive. 
  • Bigbry, I am sorry if I offended you with my comments.  My intent was to give you my opinion, from my experience and with my understanding of these cars most would tell you that a car, not running, that has sat for some time most likely will have hidden mechanical and driveline issues.  Any rust in a Hudson needs attention and pitting bright parts cost quite a bit to repair properly.  I added the comment that daily driver has different meaning to different people.  For me, any Hudson should be reliable enough to get in it and drive it anywhere within the United States and not have the stress of it breaking down.  So, if I misspoke please forgive me.  I would stand by my recommendation to take it to Doug Wildrick and get an idea of what it would take to make it the car you would want to drive. 
    You did not offend me at all I sincerely apologize if I offended YOU that’s the downside to the internet sometimes tone doesn’t get picked up on.. no hard feelings at all and I appreciate all of your feedback. I truly like the car as it sits and feel like it would be a nice challenge to clean it up a bit and enjoy it without breaking the bank. I’m a younger guy who is still learning about these cars everyday and when it comes to Hudson’s in particular the only thing I know is that I like them LOL. I already have a 1954 olds convertible that gets all my cash so would love to Hagen something a little different to beat around in and not worry about the cosmetics so much ya know ? So I spoke with the owner today and she decided to have the car brought to a garage for inspection and/or repair so if it comes back with a clean bill of health there goes my negotiating but if it’s bad news than probably even worse because it will most likely scare me away. I’m still hoping to end up with the car but trying to be realistic and not be emotional about it. I will certainly keep everyone updated!