Aligning fenders, hood & grill?

Does anyone have advise on the best way to go about putting together & aligning the front clip on an old 37?  What does one set up 1st, 2nd, etc. & which are typically adjusted?  Where to look if things aren’t adjusting for problems?  How wide the gaps should be, especially between fenders & grill shell?

Comments

• Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    I think the answer is to get everything in place LOOSELY, then gradually get all the components in alignment with one another.  Don't tighten anything until you're pretty sure it's all lining up with everything else.  

In general, be sure the radiator is is the correct height.  I think it rests on some specific spacers, not directly on the frame.  The "X" rods that hold it to the cowl would go into place then, but can be adjusted fore-to-aft to make sure that both sides of the radiator are at the correct distance from the firewall.  The fenders would have to go on first (there is that thick horizontal steel rod running between the fenders which allows them to be adjusted).

Then the nose (radiator surround), which is a PITA to get on without scratching the paint on the fenders. (Apply thick tape along the edges of the fenders to prevent scratching.)  By the way, you do know that there is a special thick rubber welting that runs between fenders and the radiator surround, right?  The round part of the welting has serrations.  Doug Wildrick carries this, I think.

Don't forget the lacing along the top of the cowl, on which the back of the hood rests.

When all this is in place you could lightly hang the hood in place without attaching it down, in order to fit everything in its correct relation to the other components.  Be sure to put the cowl vent in place (and protect its leading edges with tape) before putting on the hood.  You can then remove the hood once you've got things adjusted, so you have room to work.  If the hood sits too low in relationship to the top of the cowl (at the back) and the top of the radiator surround, you can always but a couple extra washers under the mounting bracket (which grabs the long chromed hinge that runs between the hood halves).

In my memory it's all about tightening here, loosening there, sliding a bit there, and finally it all comes together and you tighten all the bolts.

• Old Fogey UK
    Old Fogey UK Expert Adviser
    It took 3 of us a whole day, numerous washers and a truck load of cursing to get it right on my '34.
    I still have the problem of the right top part of the hood moving itself forward (probably due to vibration) and chipping the paint on the hood - how do I solve that one ?