new top

Hello 
I would like to replace the top on my 49
Any recommendations?

Comments

• 2manyprojects
    2manyprojects Expert Adviser
    contact russ mass at 21 st century hudson have one from him on my 51 hornet my friend also got 2 for his cars. high quality not high priced. highly recommended
  • contact russ mass at 21 st century hudson have one from him on my 51 hornet my friend also got 2 for his cars. high quality not high priced. highly recommended

Sounds an awesome guy. My buddy's uncle might be needing for the top on his '51 as well, we'll take a look at it right after we finished installing brake pads and v-twin suspension parts on on my buddy's bike. There's a local shop here that quotes for the top but the quality seems not that high.
  • bull_islander
    bull_islander Expert Adviser
    edited February 2020
    I had gotten my last one through Bob Rosol (NJ, in the roster).  I'd advise to clarify on how you want your back window.  Bob orders them with the clear window going all the way to the body (no perimeter of fabric surrounding the window at the bottom as original).  You get more visibility with the full window, but if you're wanting it same style as original, you need to specify.  
  • SuperDave
    SuperDave Senior Contributor
    The factory window is like looking through a mail slot, but looks cool
  • Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    If you do use the original (glass) window, be sure to have it placed correctly in the rear curtain for an optimal view of the road behind.  You can do this during the re-topping process, by attaching two taut lengths of rope from the rear bow down to the tacking strip on the rear deck, which will then temporarily support the window in mid-air, at the correct angle it will be in when finally installed.  Temporarily clamp the window to the rope supports, then sit in the driver's seat and sight through the rear-view mirror toward the road behind you.  You'll want to keep adjusting the window's position until it aligns correctly to the mirror, in such a way that you'll get the clearest view of the road behind, with the window right in the center.  Then measure the distance from the rear deck up to the window, and that's where you'll install the window in the curtain canvas.

If you are 5'-10" tall, and you leave the window placement to your 6'-2" convertible top installer, I think you can see how you might not be happy with the result.