Radiator shroud placement on Radiator?

BigSky
BigSky Senior Contributor
I just received back from the radiator shop my radiator from a leak repair.  As I took a look at it before I was going to begin the installation of it, I noticed that the shroud is 1) buggered up and 2) it doesn’t appear to be in the same placement as it was before.  3) does anyone know if solder will hold the shroud on or was it welded?  I am told they soldered it on.

Contacting the shop they said they had to remove the shroud to repair the leaks.  The big problem is it appears it wasn’t put back in the same spot so either the radiator will be cock-eyed or body won’t align up as the grill & hood are all tied into the shroud.  Does anyone have measurements on this?

Before the shop repaired it:

Specifically this gap is what looks 1/4” to 1/2” different from side to side:

Before:

After the shop repaired it:

Can one measure this distance on each side to determine proper placement of shroud on Radiator or is it done another way?

Comments

• BigSky
    edited January 2020
    Does anyone know if these radiator shrouds were used on other Hudson vehicles?   My vehicle is the Series 73 and has the longer 122” wheel base but the 212ci 6 cylinder engine, thus the large shroud.

Above when I said repaired, I really mean screwed up because the really messed up a nice looking shroud!
  • 40indianssgmailcom
    40indianssgmailcom Senior Contributor
    Although the stock rad and shroud look different  for my 47 pickup the shroud panels were soldered to the rad
  • BigSky
    Yes, my shroud was soldered on & they removed it & it didn’t get put back on in the correct location.  Here’s an example of how it’s off.   It’s so frustrating to take a rare if not irreplaceable item to someone & have them damage it so blatantly. 

Before:

After:

• 36 has something similar, but the shape is not the same.
  • BigSky
    That’s what I’m afraid of.... it’s a little used item & probably almost impossible to find a replacement.  If anyone has one, please let me know!  Thanks 
  • Call Jason at vintage coach... He has a '37 radiator, I just don't know what model it's for. His number is 9oh9 8two3 9one6eight