radio antennea installation help needed

Val
Val Member
I and trying to run antennae cable up from under the running board and thru the hole where the original came thru the underside of the car. Not sure how the driver side kick panel comes out. as that would make it so much easier. I have been trying to fish it thru and hope to get a magnet on the end to no avail. I have also tried tapping the cable to clothes hanger wire and run it that way but it comes out of the tape, at a loss so if ANYONE can give ANY sort of advice PLEASE do. As stated if the kick panel was out it would be so much easier. SO if that is easy to remove in the 39 SIX  please let me know. 

Comments

• Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    edited January 2020
    Isn't that side kick panel just held by screws?  Memory fails, but I thought my '37 panel was just screwed on.  How different could the '39 be?
  • jjbubaboy
    jjbubaboy Senior Contributor
    If you can put a small hook on the end of the coat hanger, and then use that to pull a piece of nylon string through with the cable tied to the end of it.

• Glowplug
    Glowplug Expert Adviser
    When using a "fishing tool"   make sure the mechanical connection is good then wrap the connection with electrical tape to assure to will not come apart and slip through the hole.   Using a bit of silicon spray of white grease may aid you too
  • Val
    Val Member
    Thanks folks, I have used electrical tape to try and hold the end onto the coat hanger wire but it comes off. I think when it hits the insulation. I'll get back at it today trying some of what was said here.  
  • Val
    Val Member
    Jon B said:
    Isn't that side kick panel just held by screws?  Memory fails, but I thought my '37 panel was just screwed on.  How different could the '39 be?
    Jon B I cant see any srews tha thold it. But maybe not looking in the right spot. I just do want to somehow damage or worse the panel and car trying to remove it, and I have emailed Dr Doug but I know he is extremely busy so it may be awhile before I hear back from him. 
  • Check with Mike Sheridan, he has a 39 convt.
  • Val
    Val Member
    Thanks Ed. Also l send a pic of my heater to you
  • Val said:
    I have used electrical tape to try and hold the end onto the coat hanger wire but it comes off. I think when it hits the insulation.  
    Maybe heat shrink tubing might work?
  • Val
    Val Member
    Success! I got the antennae cable up thru the hole and into the car and connected to the redi rad.  Now I must remove the forward antennae mount bracket so that can drill two holes to mount the new antennae. Only have about 6ft of my original antennae. So hoping this will work as a good replacement.