1929 Hudson Super Six - engine overheating

2»

Comments

• I could be wrong, but I think the video shows two Clifford carbs as were fitted to many Hudson Hornets from the 50's as aftermarket improvements. They could be mechanically synced together.
  • Hello Friends! Some advances but not there yet. The fuel line path was totally changed, it is now in the drivers side, passing on the front part of engine. Heat shield installed and also heat exchanger completely blocked. New air filter installed too. I believe I did everything I could to prevent vapor lock or boiling fuel. Engine block water chambers were cleaned through plugs removal. Water pumps seems to be working properly. Overheating still remains, unfortunately. I will now try to adjust timing, I believe If the spark is too retarded, it could cause the issue, so it should be advanced, any hints on this? I did not check valve clearance, could this be also an issue? Is 0,025” the recommendation? Thanks; Julio
  • Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    You need to set with a timing light, with  ignition lever fully advanced, engine idling and firing 2 FLYWHEEL  teeth b.t.d.c.  
  • thanks, Geoff. Could you please describe in more details the timing set procedure. Unfortunately I am not familiar with, so I will translate your guidance to a mechanic and he will try to follow. Regarding valve adjustements, any suggestion?
  • Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    The steering   wheel centre quadrant "Advance/Retard" needs to be set right down on the stop at the bottom position.   Then the timing set with a timing light shining through the hole in the crankcase where you can see a pointer and the mark DC 1-6 on the flywheel.  You may need to  highlight this mark in white paint.   Then the timing should be adjusted to  2 flywheel teeth, at idle, before the DC mark, by  loosening the clamp on  the distributor.   Turn the distributor anti-clockwise to advance timing.   You  need to retard the timing for starting only, then have the timing set on full advance all the time for driving.   Tappets should be set with engine hot, inlets at .004" between the valve and the rocker (not the push rod end).  Exhaust at .008".   Hope this is  clear enough
    Geoff 
  • Thank a lot again, Geoff. I will follow these directions.
  • What is the recommended contact point gap ? Thanks!
  • Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    .017" works best for me. 
  • Some good advancements on my 1929 Hudson. I have advanced the timing by one tooth, the car is much better now. I will keep testing.

• 7XPacemaker
    7XPacemaker Senior Contributor
    Geoff, you are a walking Hudson repair manual!