Pic size ?

I try to attach pic taken with my phone and get message that file is too large  !  !  why is the forum not able to take pics that everyone takes nowadays with a smart phone  ?   

Comments

• Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    Telephones take photographs?  Well, this is an interesting development!  And I thought I was up to date because mine has a dial!
  • Hi Martin, 
    Your assuming this free website has unlimited storage space. Generally a smart Web master will restrict the file size allowing multiple small photos uploaded rather than one mega file you want to upload. I have no idea who pays for the storage of the hudson forum. Maybe the Web master can chime in on who picks up the tab. 
    Cheers ken 
  • PaulButler
    PaulButler Administrator
    Martin said:
    I try to attach pic taken with my phone and get message that file is too large  !  !  why is the forum not able to take pics that everyone takes nowadays with a smart phone  ?   
    Hi Martin,

As Ken says we don't have unlimited storage and the size of attachments is restricted to assist in that.

The current size limit I allow is 8MB so if your file is larger than that then it won't load so you have two choices really. One is to decrease its size, the other is to load up into something like Google Drive and post a link to it here.

This forum is wholly sponsored by the HET Club and runs as a sub domain within there.
  • 5433HET
    5433HET Expert Adviser
    Is there an easy way to reduce a picture's size? 
  • PaulButler
    PaulButler Administrator
    there are quite a few free online sites that offer it , type "resize pictures" into your search engine of choice and take your pick.

I use a piece of software called "FastStone Photo Resizer" and have found that really easy to work with
  • 5433HET
    5433HET Expert Adviser
    Thank you Paul 
  • RL Chilton
    RL Chilton Administrator, Member
    I use one called FastImageResizing.  It's a free download.  Drag and Drop, couldn't be easier.  
  • 35 Terraplane
    35 Terraplane Senior Contributor
    Most smartphones have settings for the resolution of pictures you take.  you can set it to the lowest value for pics you plan to upload then change it back to the default which are generally higher up the scale.