Make good use of old WTN let someone else have them!

50C8DAN
50C8DAN Senior Contributor
edited December 2019 in HUDSON
My wife has been on me over the last year to get rid of some of my car club magazines,  With the WTN coming ever other month and the Studebaker Turning Wheels every month, not to mention Hemmings Classic Cars and a few other odds and ends I have quite a collection and still growing.  I started packing some up and went to 3 local retirement homes and nursing homes, and each one was excited to have them so the residents can check them out.  I would highly recommend this activity as many of us probably read these and may have not opened them again since.  

However, I stopped depleting my WTNs at about the late 90s.  I picked up some of these and opened them up and what a wealth of information and stories of the Hudson dealers and racing etc.  Many of those that did the writing are long gone.  Several of the issues had two or more pages of letters written to the editor, tech information from those that actually worked on Hudsons at the factory or at dealerships when the cars were new!  It was really more of a car guys magazine than it is today. Although the photos and some articles are great in the current WTNs, there is a whole different focus of the magazine than when I joined as a young pup of age 29 in 1985!

Comments

• railknight
    railknight Expert Adviser
    edited December 2019
    I have a subscription to TRAINS Magazine and a few year ago they put all their issues going back to, I believe, the 1930s on a CD for purchase.  Wonder if this could be done for the WTN?  Anyway, yes, donating old WTNs and vintage car magazines to retirement homes and perhaps even your local barber shop or even auto repair shop is a great idea.
  • hudsonsplasher1
    hudsonsplasher1 Senior Contributor
    I donated all of my WTN's and Horseless Carriage magazines to the Hudson auction at the national meet last year. It helped the Hudson Historical Society and new club members get a wealth of info.
  • barrysweet52
    barrysweet52 Expert Adviser
    I give then away at the state and biannual HET rallys. Always a good read and hopefully inspire people to join or work on their cars
  • Idea on all of the tech articles published in past WTNs. Consider consolidating all into a paid download for people to purchase and take full published book orders. 
  • 50C8DAN
    50C8DAN Senior Contributor
    I have suggested this and also to put a from the archives section in the WTN.  Some of these old tech items are unknown to many of the newer members and are lost until someone digs them out.  The WTN, except mainly for Geoff's articles has become a social newsletter and classified ad magazine.  There was a time when it was loaded with detailed help, letters from members, etc.  Many clubs still have a Q&A section where pressing problems are published and answered, this helps not only the one asking the question but others that may have similar problems.  I would probably drop the WTN and just pay my dues to help the club as I find little benefit to 75% of it.  Not being harsh, just opinion.  Those that participate in social activities it brings a lot for that.
  • Glowplug
    Glowplug Expert Adviser
    Dan; Merry Christmas - the membership of the HET Club has Gray’ed even through those who were children when the Club started.  In the grand scheme of things I as well as others have tried to capture/archive and provide via current distribution means those tips and technical methods to current HET owners.  But, with a capital “B”, the desire to use those methods share that information is waning.  I have All the HET news letters and do share some of those tips via my website and the monthly newsletter of my HET chapter.  I receive very limited tech-tip input and this is an indicator of the desire of membership to spend the time to capture or share their talents.  Almost all meets are now gather to eat and sit around for a few hours.  My first meets were garage gatherings to help others get tasks done to maintain or recover a H.E.T. car to roadworthy status.  Today we in South Texas are blessed with several new members who are doing their own work and asking questions to guide the outcome.  Great input...but try to encourage the newer members with a tip and some interest in their projects!   
  • Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    I went to a H.E.T  gathering in the U.S. some years ago, with a lot of familiar names that had been involved for many years.  One gent said to me "When the club first started we used to park our cars with the hoods up, and discuss our compression ratios, overdrives, carburettors,  transmissions,  etc.    Now we park our butts in the shade, and discuss our heart valves, pacemakers, artificial hips, knees, and all the aches and pains".    I guess we are all coming to that.  I aim to keep working on Hudsons as long as I am physically able, and  to share my knowledge, for what it is worth.      Happy New year to all. 
    Geoff 
  • I know that I really appreciate the information provided by those such as Geoff that have already been there and done that. As mentioned before, some of us would be happy to pay for a organized publication of the knowledge, tips, and tricks that have come through the WTN and forums.