Who can identify my Venetian Blind?

micki
micki Senior Contributor

My name is Michael Henze and I am living in Sweden.

During 18 years (1996-2014) I restored a 1951 Hudson Pacemaker Brougham from miserable shape to a beauty. I had much help from Park Waldrop.

In 2005 I received a venetian blind from Park originating from Herbert Bell.

It was not complete but I could restore it to perfect condition, see enclosed picture showing the measures but also a printed number on each blind blade, 215533 to 215540. I think these numbers are spare part numbers.

I soon understood that this blind was not aimed for my 1951 Hudson Pacemaker Brougham rear window which is much wider than my venetian blind.

I contacted a friend having a 1950 Commodore 8 Coupe with a smaller rear window and equipped with a venetian blind. He told me that his blind had 9 blades and was slightly curved to follow the rear window shape. Mine has 8 blades and is just flat.
Maybe it fits some earlier Hudson models from the 40’s or 30’s?

Who can tell what car and model it is aimed for?

Comments

• Glowplug
    Glowplug Expert Adviser
    The Venetian blinds were an accessory for Hudsons.  They were a combination of a box of uncut blind slats and two upright braces/package of screws.  The instruction sheet notes that the blinds are 36 inches wide max and that the installation is a combination of measuring the cars window to determine the width to cut each slat.   The blind you have pictured appears to be different than the accessory item.   But, in the scheme of things if it works in your car ... 

• Glowplug
    Glowplug Expert Adviser

• micki
    micki Senior Contributor
    Hi Glowplug and thanks for your comments. I have problems to understand the word "slat" but it may not be important. Have a look at the enclosed picture showing the two parts holding my blind blades. They are straight and not slightly curved as those in your pictures. In addition they allow all blind blades to be slanted to protect the best way for entry of sun beams. You can also see a curved detail on each end of the blade holders. I guess these have to be inserted between the rear window glass and the rubber seal on the inside of the car. Can you confirm this? And which car and model is my venetian blind aimed for? Maybe just an accessory for any car?
  • Glowplug
    Glowplug Expert Adviser
    My guess is they are universal blinds.  slats is another word for the individual blinds
  • onerare39
    onerare39 Expert Adviser, Member
    Michael,

Here's what the dealer accessory ones look like mounted in my 1950 Pacemaker with the small window.  The slats are made out of aluminum and can be trimmed with scissors.  We have 9 members in Sweden already, for $47.00 (US currency) you could be the 10th!  HETCLUB.ORG  You will also receive six bi-monthly issues of the White Triangle News, the award winning publication of the Hudson-Essex-Terraplane Club.  It's filled with great articles pertaining  the history of the Hudson Motor Car Company, mechanical procedures, and classified ads.  The best $47.00 you will spend if you own a Hudson automobile. 

John Forkner
    Hudson Essex Terraplane Club

• AnnaCarin
    AnnaCarin Member
    edited November 2019
    I guess there's no patent number or company name present on your blinds? Edit: and no parts number either? If there's parts numbers on the slats only, I think it suggest the factory made blinds for many different makes and models, and needed to keep track of which slats go in which set. So I guess they're for a specific car (though it would be hard to track down which one). That also explains the use of straight braces and the fact that the angle of the slats is adjustable - in order to produce sets for loads of different models, braces and slats just had to be cut to the right lengths during production; no model-specific fixtures were needed other than possibly to help cut the slat ends at correct angles.

Venetian blinds for cars had been available at least since 1940 - Popular Mechanichs mentioned them in their July 1940 issue, but unfortunately without saying who made/sold them:

In Popular Mechanics June 1953, Paramount Venetian Blind Co. advertised Para-Ven Auto-Blinds - "To order yours, give year, make and model of car and enclose check or money order". It says they're made of plastic and aluminum though, and yours appears to be all-metal (might be an older version, or from an entirely different maker):

• micki
    micki Senior Contributor
    Dear John,
    Thank you for your offer to join the Hudson Club. However, I have decided to sell my Streamliner because of age and some health problems. Thus, I must decline your kind offer. Maybe it could be of interest to see what I am selling? have a look at the enclosed picture showing the wreck from Arizona in 1996 (at end of this insertion) and the restored beauty in 2014. I have restored with care and accuracy during 18 years. I have been careful to keep the original outlook of the car but added some useful finesses. The original 6 cylinder 232 cui engine is replaced with a 262 cui Hudson engine. Together with an OverDrive the fuel consumption is lower, the acceleration is better and the driving is very comfortable. The car has run only about 500 miles by now. All restoration expenses are specified. This is the car for a person who has no time or desire to restore but wishes to enjoy.
    The car has been filmed by a professional. Speech is Swedish but I don´t think it matters. If you can spend 25 minutes, have a look here:
    http://www.veteranbilstv.se/Hudson_Brougham_51.html
    Futher info can be found at https://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C1160913
    In case you or somebody else is interested please contact me by email on micki.henze@gmail.com for further pictures and info about all improvements I have made but which cannot be seen. Maybe this can explain my rather high price.
    Many thanks to you and all others helping me to understand my venetian blind problem.
    Best wishes, Michael

• Rhodora
    Rhodora Member
    edited November 2019
    Tjena Michael,

what a beautiful restoration! I bought a ‘49 Hudson Brougham in Sweden this year. It’s a project but the story behind it actually makes me sell my dream car (‘49 Buick Super Sedanet). I simply can’t own two classics. 

Anyway I will show this car to people that are seriously interested in these rare cars. Although most of my friends are more into building their own custom in stead of driving a finished car. But you never know! I think it’s a beauty! Count to think of it: I’ve already seen it and saved it on Blocket :)

Kind regards from The Netherlands
  • micki
    micki Senior Contributor
    Tjena Rhodora,
    I really appreciate your wordings. I have the best experience in dealing with dutch people. I sold my Streamliner No.1, a very rare 1937 Lincoln Zephyr V12 Coupe to Holland in 2017. It was restored by me in the same accurate way as my Hudson. Send me your email address, preferably to mine which is micki.henze@gmail.com
    I will then send you info which you can forward to your friends. It further reveals how I restored my two Streamliners. it includes a film presenting my 37 Lincoln Coupe.
    Kind regards from Sweden and Michael
  • Hi Michael,

I’ve sent you a mail. From my side I can only say that Swedes are the most helpful, honest and delightful people to buy a classic car from because they are knowledgeable, care about their hobby and are very willing to help.

I’ve previously bought a ‘49 Chrysler from Hudson Hasse sight unseen, he was very helpful with shipping. I’ve also bought a ‘50 DeSoto and lastly my ‘49 Hudson from Sweden.

Both of the last two mentioned I tried driving home. I knew the cars were not perfect so things could go wrong but I’m not afraid of some adventure and Swedes are one of the most helpful people so it will work out always. 

I’ve filmed those adventures too, I will put them in my own topic (Rhodora) to keep this clean. 

But it’s good to know for any buyers that Swedish sellers are very helpful and kind and not afraid to help you even if you live further away. 

• AnnaCarin
    AnnaCarin Member
    edited November 2019
    Michael,
    Good luck selling your beautiful car! I'd seen the ad before, but really enjoyed the film.
    I noticed that you've got seat belts. Is it possible to get seat belts in a Hudson formally approved in Sweden, after all? 
  • micki
    micki Senior Contributor
    AnnaCarin, Regarding approval of seat belts in Sweden: Hudson had no seat belts at delivery. I decided to install such for safety reasons. When my car was inspected by the authorities in 2014 I did not especially mention about the seat belts as they were not approved by any authority. I will remember that the inspecting person noticed them but did not make any comments. My feeling was that his thoughts were: It may be better to use them than having no seat belts at all. And that is the way I think too. The installation was not easy. I have documented it in an article written for the Swedish Hudson Club. I can send you this article if you send me your email address to micki.henze@gmail.com
    Are you Swedish? Your name indicates this. Anyhow, you may understand the article outgoing from the pictures. Kind regard, Michael
  • Michael,
    Thank you - I'd very much appreciate a copy of your article, as I think seat belts are worth considering. I'll email you (and yes, I'm Swedish).