Adjusting brakes 1923 Hudson

While having the rear end jacked up I was checking the brake tension on the wheels with the emergency brake off.
I noticed left tire moved easily while the right was very difficult to rotate.  How can I tell if it is the emergency brake
adjustment or the foot brake adjustment? (I have the car out of gear in neutral)
Robert

Comments

• Jay_G
    Jay_G Expert Adviser

If the brakes are adjusted correctly the rule (back in the day) was that you could slip a business card between the liner and the drum.

Jay

• Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    The "eye-ometer" works well.  If you can see that the external brake band is not contacting, then it is the internal hand brake binding.  There are a number of issues with these brakes, and one of them is that the  shafts are not rusted together.  One runs inside the other. I can't remember which is which, but I had one instance where they were rusted solid, and both brakes were being applied together, which does funny things to the linkages.  You must follow the exact procedure in the owner's manual for adjusting the brakes on this model, but unfortunately  you will not have the special drum for  setting the hand brake, which has a cut-out section for viewing the clearance.  You will have to remove the drum and check the clearance as you fit the drum over the linings.   Good luck,
  • So the handbrake shoes are inside the drum and the brake pedal shoes are outside the drum. Thought is was just the reverse.  Sure wish we had some old mechanics around.
    When I get this figured out I will apply for certification. :)
    Robert
  • Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    That is correct.   You can get the workshop manual online from the club website. 
  • onerare39
    onerare39 Expert Adviser, Member
    There is a club member with a 1915 in Metairie and another club member with a 1929 in Baton Rouge.  They might be able to come over and offer insight and hands-on help.  Maybe they are old mechanics.
  • Just what I was looking for.  Hudson owners and members in my area. Can you give me their contact numbers or ask them to call me 985-502-8088
    Thanks
    Robert