Hemmings article on body work and paint cost

Comments

• Good article Kerry. REAL glad I've done my cars  myself. YEOW!
  • railknight
    railknight Expert Adviser
    After reading this Hemmings article about how pricy car body work can be, the old TV commercial tagline comes to mind, "If you don't know, you better get Maaco!"
  • onerare39
    onerare39 Expert Adviser, Member
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • onerare39 said:
    Hey John they forgot the part about"ten dollars worth of free bodywork if you come before this weekend".  Great stuff.
  • Kdancy
    Kdancy Senior Contributor
    I'm working on a 58 stude right now that had a cheap maaco paint job acouple of years ago. Nice shiny paint with little to no depth. Horrible body work that can be seen looking at the paint. The most overspray i have ever seen on a car. Paint already peeling in places. A super cheap paint job that looks good from 30 feet.
    Glad I am only doing mechanical work on it.
  • Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    I can paint a car in a day.  But I'll need a month to prepare it. 
  • 40indianssgmailcom
    40indianssgmailcom Senior Contributor
    Clearcoat 2 and 3 stage paint looks incredible when done well but none of these cars came from the factory with that kind of finish.  To save a lot of time and money single stage paint looks much more authentic and easier to touch up if chipped.  Just my opinion

• Kdancy
    Kdancy Senior Contributor
    edited November 2019
    I use basecoat clearcoat almost exclusively now. Easier to spray metallic and the end result is better then single stage ever was. Not any harder to touch up or fix a bender then single stage.
    Like any paint finish, it's only as good as the prep work.
    Just my opinion!

• 40indianssgmailcom
    40indianssgmailcom Senior Contributor
    I am not saying the catalyzed single stage is better but it gives a more original finish than basecoat clearcoat.  Original paint finishes were never as deep as the current two stage paints.  As for metallic touch up, if you look at a car in natural light and see two panels that look different that is the result of the metallic particles laying at different angles due to the wetness/dryness of the spray technique causing the metallic to stand up or lay down which reflects the light differently.  This can make repairing a metallic finish more difficult than non-metallic. Everyone has their preferences