'54 Hornet Coupe Unibody Frame rails - preserve

My passenger side is being replace under door but before I replace with new inner and outer rocker panels, I would like to preserve what I have in the rest of the car. Can anyone offer any advice for cleaning out loose rust and other crud in the existing  frame boxes on the inside? Also, can anyone offer an idea for coating the insides of the boxes with a rust reformer? Right now everywhere else is solid - I would like to keep it that way.

Comments

• charles4d
    charles4d Expert Adviser
    Eastwood makes some good products that will prevent rust 
    The products  arent cheap tho guess you get what you pay for
  • ratlee2
    ratlee2 Expert Adviser
    I bought a 10 dollar spray pump with a wand.  I sprayed the inside of the rails with rust cutter (phosphoric acid) to neutralize the rust. 
  • Good tips - were you able to get existing loose rust out before spraying?
  • Kdancy
    Kdancy Senior Contributor
    The only way to remove rust inside those frame rails is for the car to be tanked.
    If rust is not popping thru, the best you can do is spray rocker wax in as many places as you can get the plastic wand into. Hudson used a product I call horse hair, due to its thick fiberous fibers, in several places in the frame. That allows clay, salt,dust and mud to settle in and keep the frame moist thus creating rust outs. I pull this stuff out when I can.

• If you are really serious then strip it and pay to get it acid dipped. 
    $$$$$
  • Ok - thanks guys - I won't be dipping it