Custom Side (valve) Covers

BigSky
BigSky Senior Contributor
I imagine no one has done this & there aren’t any being made but I’ll ask anyway.....  
Has anyone made or currently makes custom aluminum or chrome side covers for the valves on either the 212 or 254 engines?

Comments

• I’d be interested in a pair.
  • GrimGreaser
    GrimGreaser Senior Contributor
    I made these for my 308:

Machined and prohibitively expensive unless you have access to a CNC.  I'd be happy to help CAD something up if anyone is interested.
  • ESSX28-1
    ESSX28-1 Senior Contributor
    Nice!!
  • BigSky
    Now that’s what I’m talking about, those are beautiful!   Any idea if those are the same size for other engines?  I’m definitely interested!!
  • GrimGreaser
    GrimGreaser Senior Contributor
    It's a shame the manifolds hide them.  I would need an example or good dimensions to work something up.
  • Glowplug
    Glowplug Expert Adviser
    Grim... might be possible to create a Faux finned head using a CAD drawing to input into a CNC machine?   the base would be notched to fit over the different notches in the the iron head and the top would have the fins with the correct holes in the faux head.... dreaming ....
  • Some Railtons had an aluminum fake valve cover over the flathead to make them look like overhead valves.
  • BigSky

Quite beautiful, I wonder how they attached it and if the ends were open or not?

from a Railton. 
  • Um, wrong side ...
  • BigSky
    Hahaha!   Yep, not valve cover side but it was in reference to 29sptphaeton’s comment on a “fake valve cover over the flathead to make them look like overhead valves.“. I assumed he was referring to the actual head, unless I misunderstood him.  Which could happen, as my wife reminds me of this all too often!

Either way it’s beautiful with all the chrome, makes a guy start to think.....
  • That's exactly what I meant. I like to find one for my Railton. I just received my exhaust manifold from England allowing me to use my Edmunds 8 cyl. dual carb manifold.
  • BigSky
    Please show us your exhaust manifold, I've never seen what they look like!
  • terraplane8
    terraplane8 Senior Contributor
    I like looking at the flat head! Covering it up so that it could be mistaken for an OHV head seems a bit sad. But I guess OHV was the next great thing in those days. Let's not forget a contributing factor to the extreme quietness of the flathead engine was the fact that there was no clattering overhead valve train echoing around a hollow valve cover. Instead all the valve gear was buried deep in the block, silently so.
  • Here are the photos of the 8 cylinder exhaust manifold from the UK that allows the use of a dual carb setup. Have to drill mounting holes and use studs and nuts