48-53 Hudson Gas Tank listing on Ebay..

Comments

• Kdancy
    Kdancy Senior Contributor
    That is an excellent price and incudes shipping. I think I place an order.
  • Please keep us updated on how it turns out.
  • ski4life65
    ski4life65 Expert Adviser
    Seller has great Ebay feedback. I have never bought anything from him, but have sold him some parts for his 51 Hornet, and have had great dealings with him. I don't need a tank, but I wouldn't hesitate to buy from him (Michael) if I did.
  • Glowplug
    Glowplug Expert Adviser
    The recent change in pricing makes the tank a bargain in the grand scheme of things.  Restoring a tank ... even on the cheap is going to run over 100 dollars.  With the life time warranty folks it is the same price as this tank and of course you are running a used tank.  900-1200 now 499 and free shipping is a great deal for a tank that matches the OEM item.  For those who have a 54... this tank is the same size... the filler tube is the difference.  For over 15 years I ran a 52 tank in a 54 Wasp.  I sawed the filler tube off just above the brace and using proper gas tank rubber filler tube I clamped the 54 filler tube to the 53 tank filler. No leaks and all worked fine including the gas gauge.
  • I broke down and ordered it. The seller appears to have a great reputation and the price includes shipping.
  • Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    edited October 2019
    this place is on the up-and-up.  MoParPro.  http://www.moparpro.com/   They make gas tanks mostly for MoPar antiques but the owner came onto the Hudson Facebook page some months ago and announced that he was going to make some Hudson ones for roughly $600 apiece.  They looked to be of excellent quality though the price seemed a bit hopeful (he doesn't realized what cheapskates we are).  But the new $500 price is much more reasonable.
  • I queried him and will ask here. What is the screw thread(s)/size(s) for the fuel gauge and inlet? My screws look pretty tired.
  • Glowplug
    Glowplug Expert Adviser
    At this time I do not have the thread size... but have a suggestion for you.  Due to the number of times I was involved in R&R of the fuel tube and the fuel gauge sender, I went to ACE hardware with the OEM screws and found socket head fasteners to replace the OEM hardware.  This change makes the task a breeze compared to trying to use a flat blade screw driver to complete the task.  
  • Sounds good. The slot screws are difficult when it is under the car.
  • The fuel tank bolts are a 10-24 thread size, 1/2" long.  Many thanks to Lance for measuring one so I didn't have to pull one to go looking.  I confirmed the fit when I bought the fasteners.

McMaster-Carr even has them with permanent lock washers:
  • I received my tank a few weeks ago and it looks great. Not planning on installing it till next summer.
  • ski4life65
    ski4life65 Expert Adviser
    I received mine and it is fantastic. Bolt in and go. Never again will I try to fix an old one.