Step down vs pre step down info and help

40indianssgmailcom
40indianssgmailcom Senior Contributor
i recently inquired about 1947 fuel sender info, got some looks but unfortunately not much help.  This is not intended as a complaint so much as an observation about what seems to be the amount of knowledge available to the pre-step down enthusiasts versus the seemingly much larger post-48 group.  I realize the larger production numbers of stepdowns and likelihood of fewer remaining of the earlier group skew the number of responders to the stepdown knowledge base.  This is really just a request to those with knowledge of alternatives or sources for the replacement of factory parts or modification of similar new parts to allow the use the original gauges and other parts which may no longer be available to share your knowledge.  It appears that the early cars and the stepdowns parts although they may look quite similar oftentimes function differently.  Share what you know as the knowledge base may be lessening in spite of good intentions.  Thanks

Comments

• barrysweet52
    barrysweet52 Expert Adviser
    We are lucky to have a club Technical Adviser, a good club library and also a club roster of people with similar models. Your comments make a lot of sense. I prefer the 20s and 30s cars and have wasted a lot of time and money doing the wrong things until I found people to ask. Good luck with your search 
  • onerare39
    onerare39 Expert Adviser, Member

Looking for all of your answers on the free Open Forum won't answer all of your questions.  For $33.00 you can renew your membership in the Hudson Essex Terraplane Club.  Enjoy interacting with real people at your local chapter and ask for hands-on help. Use the international members as a resource along with the White Triangle News classified ads and articles on mechanical procedures.  Limiting your resources to "free advice" gets you just that.

We would like to have you rejoin this great club, could I send you a Membership Form?

John Forkner
    20 year member
  • Glowplug
    Glowplug Expert Adviser
    I can not find my copy of a specific vintage automotive engineers manual at this time, but it has a very complete discussion of how the bi-metal gauges used in the pre-stepdown vehicles operate.  As an alternative... another source that is historic to this forum is located at this URL: https://openforum.hetclub.org/discussion/166893/measuring-coolant-temperature   I suspect it contains the essence of what you are looking for.   

In reference to the comments about being a member... I have been a member since 1972 although the current HET website quotes 1991... in that time I have supported the need for open information exchange about all car matters one of the reasons that I have a FREE HUDSON STEPDOWN Restoration website!  In addition to my membership... I have helped start, resurrected or have been a member of 12 different HET Chapters.   

In the grand scheme of things... shaming attempts and comments about joining the club have in my experience driven away those who MIGHT become members.  Our current chapter has made great strides in trying to assist the members in maintaining their vehicles.  Practicing what I preach is at a cost of personal time and treasure.  Our members are spread out from West to East Texas and north to a line that bisects the state.  Participating members travel well over 100 miles to most meets and that is because they see a FAMILY atmosphere and a inclusive welcoming group. 

My comments will again ruffle those who see this subject through another lens, so be it.  I share because what I am sharing was grown from a seed planted by someone else who helped without a request to join a club.   Joining came after the help given.  My mentor was Bernie Siegfried and he never asked me to join the HET.  But, he told me about the Nebraska Iowa chapter being formed... I was at the meet when our group drew up the petition to become a chapter of the HET CLUB. My USAF duties then kept me from many meets, but I was one of the first chapter newsletter editors.    Keep asking questions it makes us all better informed about our HET CARS.
  • Glowplug
    Glowplug Expert Adviser
    The Bi-Metal gauges used in the Hudson Gas Gauge are described as shown below.  Apologize for the poor quality images as they are phone pictures of an old Chilton Manual description of the Hudson gauges.

• 40indianssgmailcom
    To all who have read and those who have commented a thank you.  This forum although 'free' has been helpful to answer or point to a solution to some of the issues that I have needed to resolve.  My 47 pu appears quite stock except to a Hudsonphile albeit with jaguar front and rear suspension, 4.2L dohc inline jag six, dual carbs and a gm turbo 350 trans.  The info I have gleaned from this forum has aided me in working toward completing this project, hopefully soon.   It was never meant to be a criticism but encouragement to share as much info as possible to help the enthusiasts who are just starting a project before more of it is lost.  Probably time to drop $33 and join the het club.  Thanks glowplug that may be just the info I need to check the fuel gauge and sender
  • 40indianssgmailcom
    If I read this article correctly the gauge and sender will also operate in a 12v negative ground system.  Polarity and voltage are not a factor and now I can test and install them.  Correct me if I am wrong
  • Glowplug
    Glowplug Expert Adviser
    40, I believe that you are correct, but with the many different factors determine the gauges response I remain optimistic you can use the gauge with 12V negative ground.  Simple testing will answer that question.
  • 40indianssgmailcom
    First I will test with 6v pos grd then go to 6v neg grd and if operating correctly use 12v net grd or use voltage reducer between batt and gauge for preservation of gauge and sender.  Again thanks for the help glowplug and others
  • Browniepetersen
    Browniepetersen Senior Contributor
    I started up the Hudson Modified Facebook page to showcase Hudson's like yours.  Since it is a page and not a group you are welcome to access and like the page and then you can post photos.  A lot of Hudson folks like the Jag parts for their projects, not so many use the engine...  I have had a few Jag's over the years and love the 12's...  Never had any problems with my sixes as well....