34 Terraplane Hood Ornament

Looking for an intact 34 Terraplane Coupe hood ornament.

Comments

• barrysweet52
    barrysweet52 Expert Adviser
    Its hard to find a good pot metal ornament. If you do I hope you will consider getting a few cast. I have had to buy parts cars, wrecks, reproduce a few simple parts and travel interstate to get parts that I need. Its all part of owning a 20s and 30s car. Good luck
  • Check with Don Sommers, American Arrow Corp. in OK. He cast’s many mascots in stainless steel polished ready to use. He has a web site.
  • dholck
    dholck Expert Adviser
    You may recall that they have been reproduced before - who did those? I seem to recall they were sold through K-GAP  ...the company and the hood ornaments now long gone.  BUT, somebody has the stuff and know-how to make them.  They were very nice; sold for $295 as I recall. "Silicon steel" comes to mind in association with these reproduction 34T ornaments.  So there are no doubt 'spare' repros out there, but my experience is that anybody with spares for 1930s car wants to keep them. 

Don Sommers looks to be in Michigan. I do not see Terraplane ornaments in the current catalog.
  • akcoop
    akcoop Administrator
    Don Sommers died in July.  At Hershey his daughter said they will probably sell out and may produce some of the most popular.  I bought the last Hudson man on 29 cap left.  There was still a 28 Hudson man but I’d don’t see any other Hudson mascots
  • 40indianssgmailcom
    40indianssgmailcom Senior Contributor
    Another possibility for reproduction might be a computer scan of a good original then computer aided machining or 3D printing 
  • I can see if the pattern and mold I have is still usable... How many people would be interested? I can do crank hole covers as well.
  • Is there a picture of the 34T
  • Is there a picture of the 34T
    I will look tonight, when I get home from work.
  • dholck
    dholck Expert Adviser
    Just Google 34 Terraplane hood ornament; many images, including from this forum.

• dustymaxhudson
    dustymaxhudson Expert Adviser
    @54coupe I am definitely interested if you find your mold is usable! And thanks to everyone who has responded! 
  • Ok. I got out the pattern and mold, and everything looks good... in the meantime, I found two raw castings from the last run I made. I would sell these at $250.00 each plus shipping. I can email photos to interested parties, but lm not able to post them here from my phone. I’m in So. Cal. I will go to the foundry and get new pricing. I haven’t done these for at least 10 years, so I’m sure the price will go up. My email is in my profile.
  • 54coupe said:
    Ok. I got out the pattern and mold, and everything looks good... in the meantime, I found two raw castings from the last run I made. I would sell these at $250.00 each plus shipping. I can email photos to interested parties, but lm not able to post them here from my phone. I’m in So. Cal. I will go to the foundry and get new pricing. I haven’t done these for at least 10 years, so I’m sure the price will go up. My email is in my profile.
    One sold... One left.
  • Pete
    Pete Member
    Any chance you have a 1937 Hudson Terraplane 4 door, it looks like a BLIMP.  Pete
  • BigSky
    BigSky Senior Contributor
    I’m still looking for the 37 Hudson “wing & base plus badge”, if anyone has one!

• Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    If anyone hears of a company or individual who is reproducing this -- or any other Hudson hood ornament (beyond those made by American Arrow) -- please let me know so that I can list it on my Hudson Repro Parts webpage.  http://www.detailedconcepts.net/Repro_Table.pdf  

XXXDetailed@verizon.net (drop XXX before mailing)   

• 54coupe
    54coupe Member
    Pete said:
    Any chance you have a 1937 Hudson Terraplane 4 door, it looks like a BLIMP.  Pete
    I have some of the little wings that attach to the plastic, but that's all.
  • 54coupe
    54coupe Member
    Pete said:
    EMC sells the plastic part of the 37 Terraplane hood ornament. They list 36 and 37  Terraplane as being the same, but they are not. The 36 Terraplane plastic is the same as 36 Hudson. 37 doesn't have the two grooves around it, like the 36 does.