1946 STD Tranmission

super651
super651 Senior Contributor
Can the rear transmission out put over-drive oil seal be replaced wouthout removing the Transmission from the car?
 The transmission has Over-Drive on rear.   (the one that seals oil riding on the yoke)
  Thanks to all    Rudy B.

Comments

• super651
    Ken  this is a 1946 and the yoke is inside of the X-Frame.  can you do this through the rear X Frame it looks very deep in there. (you cant see the seal fromthe sides as They hide the sight of the seal and the yoke.
  • super651
    Ken the STD Transmission comment came from my long time Swamp-Rat Dragster
    owner and driver Don Garlits  and a very good friend ,and one day he was telling me how he got started in drag racing with his 1951 Hudson Hornet with a STD Transmission.
      He said i call it STD because it is a direct drive and not an Over-Drive or Hydramatic 
     Transmission.  ( and I forget that my 46 has Over-Drive)
       He had to sell it to help pay off the loan to build his Museum in ocala Fl.
     Many years bac.
  • Uncle Josh
    Uncle Josh Senior Contributor
    Well, you'll probably have to drop both ends of the driveshaft and remove it.  Should be able to find a puller and seal remover that works.  A little more difficult that's all.
  • I don't know how much room you have but I have sometimes run 2 or 3 sheet metal screws part way into the old seal at say 12:00, 4:00 and 8:00 and then pried each one out a little at a time until the seal is out. You could probably get a cat's paw crow bar in there or perhaps a slide hammer to tap on each of the screws in turn. (Suggestions…..)
  • super651
    Thank you both for your help on this Seal Replacement     R.B..