Charging Problem

I'm finally getting back to my '53 Hornet, we got her running perfect after 16 years but having trouble tracking down problem with charging, converted to 12V  when I bought her, had the alternator checked and is fine but not charging battery. My friend working on her has never dealt with a converted system and not sure what to look for, the only electrical work done was a locksmith took out the key switch to make a key,we couldn't find the keys when I bought the car, and he left one wire unhooked  that I think is for the key light. Could this have anything to do with our problem?

Comments

• You need to confirm the ampere coming out of the alternator first. Then OK move onto the regulator. It's one or the other cheers ken 
  • Glowplug
    Glowplug Expert Adviser
    The key point in the attached diagram is the 10 gauge or larger wire going to the “battery” terminal of the starter solenoid. That is the “charging” circuit for the battery. You can review the 12 volt conversion on my website. 

https://hudsonrestoration1948-54.com/

• Thanks guys, will let you know how he makes out
  • jjbubaboy
    jjbubaboy Senior Contributor
    Just a curious question: Would it be better to go straight from the alternator to the battery? I was thinking that avoiding the extra heat from the charge going through the solenoid would be better for it.
    Thoughts?
    Thanks,
    Jeff