Vibration Dampener Removal & Puller J-676-C

I need to remove the vibration dampener from a 212 engine so I can clean it up and I don't want to break anything on accident getting it off. I read in the manual that you should use a J-676-C puller to remove it, which I don't have.

It looks like any 2 or 3 jaw puller should work fine so long as it has a large enough spread. Does anyone know if that would work? Or if there is a specific tool/process that has worked well for others?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Courtesy Man
    Courtesy Man Expert Adviser
    As I recall the big head bolt on the crank is removed a puller put in place but with the advice of putting a small rod with a taper drilled point in for the threaded puller pin to bear against - otherwise the pin goes into the threaded hole on the crank and may damage it. A rod of bronze would be preferred but brass or steel would work - Gert Kristiansen
  • Courtesy Man
    Courtesy Man Expert Adviser
    You may also try a smaller socket with the hex out for the pointy part of the puller to push against.
  • ratlee2
    ratlee2 Expert Adviser

I have used the method Courtesy Man recommends.  The socket drive end against the crank end and the angled bushing end of the puller inside the 12 point socket.  Worked great and doesn't touch the threads. 

• Val
    Val Member
    I will 2nd the method Courtesy Man calls out, I have a 212 and have done that way. A 3 jaw puller does work as I had done that also but if you do it that way be careful and go easy.  
  • I didn't even consider a socket, but that makes perfect sense. The point on my puller is what made me nervous. I'll give it a go this weekend. Thanks y'all!
  • longlivelance
    longlivelance Member
    edited October 2019
    Worked like a charm! 12 point socket was a perfect spacer. Was able to get it off, cleaned up, back on. Got the replacement bolt in with just a little clean on the threads!

Thanks for the help all! 

• lostmind
    lostmind Expert Adviser
    Nice puller. Looks like motor mounts are on the list.
  • Thanks! Lots on that list! Motor mounts included. :D

Going to see if I can get her running, then go from there.
  • barrysweet52
    barrysweet52 Expert Adviser
    Did the nut ever have a tab lock washer?
  • Not that I am aware of. The bolt was missing when I got the truck. From, diagrams, pictures, and manuals, I had not seen anything indicating a lock washers for it.

If someone knows different, I'd be interested to know as well.
  • Uncle Josh
    Uncle Josh Senior Contributor
    There was a washer behind the bolt head with a tab that fit into the shaft groove and a couple of tabs, one of which should kinda line up with the flat on the bolt head.  I've not seen one without it loosen up if you snork it up good to the torque spec.
  • Glowplug
    Glowplug Expert Adviser

Photos with / so the bolt
  • Good to know and thanks for the info / photos. Mine was missing when I bought the truck, so I was glad to find the bolt and that the threads on the end of the shaft cleaned up nicely.

Happy to hear you have not seen them loosening without one also. Hope mine stays snug, and I'll be keeping my eyes on it and out for that lock washer if one ever pops up somewhere.