Repainting wooden wheels

I'm planning to repaint my wooden wheels not refinish them natural. Do I have to remove all the black paint or can I paint over them adding a primer coat first? I plan to change the color to gray. This would save a lot of work.  I want to do this without removing the wheels. If I have to remove the paint what is the best method without removing the wheels?
Robert

Comments

• Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    Do not under any circumstances use paint stripper, as this attacks the fibres in the wood spokes.    Sand the old paint as necessary, and repaint using a good quality epoxy enamel. 
  • Thanks Geoff very good advice. I'm thinking steel wool but can I paint over the old paint without taking anything off just priming it?
  • Jay_G
    Jay_G Expert Adviser
    Just a reminder before you paint make sure all the spokes are tight and in good condition.  Once you paint there is no going back without a lot of work.  I know you know but sometimes we get carried away to make things look pretty quickly.
  • Thanks Jay I will tug on each one. Don't want to loose a wheel at 70mph :)
  • Glowplug
    Glowplug Expert Adviser
    Before he passed Mr Strohl of Middleburg NY used to drive his Essex wooden wheel cars at highway speeds and more.  His cars were never restored other than maintenance they only received fuel and hard driving.  
  • ESSX28-1
    ESSX28-1 Senior Contributor
    If you're going to do 70mph, be sure your brakes,suspension & steering are up to it. Balancing your wheels will help to keep you safe. Ask me how I know!!
  • It was just a joke. Don't plan to drive it at 70. I did find two loose wooden spokes on one wheel. What is the process to tighten them before I paint?
  • I read in some old literature, years ago, about driving the car into a creek up to the hubs and let the spokes take in some water to swell them up... I'm sure there is a different modern approach.
  • ernie28
    ernie28 Expert Adviser
    edited October 2019
    The "creek " fix is only temporary. You can put a fine steel wedge between a couple of spokes at the hub end. Cutting strips from an old hand saw or using old fine dining knives are known to work. It doesn’t take much. DON'T dismantle the spokes unless the wood needs replacing as you will open a real can of worms trying to reassemble.
    Others may have other fix methods.
    Linseed oil is very good to treat the wood. Liberal coats over a few days on to the raw wood.
    Good luck. 
  • Thanks great ideas. I have heard that linseed oil will make it harder for the new paint to
    stick.  Any truth to that information. Really like the wedge idea.
  • ernie28
    ernie28 Expert Adviser
    After a few coats I cleaned off the excess and gave a coat of POR15 then the regular painting. Still look perfect after more than 10 years and thousands of miles.