tag restoration

I restamp, repair, repaint and restore your state tag to match the year of your hudson.  hosea132004@yahoo.com phone 205-310-3830.

Comments

• onerare39
    onerare39 Expert Adviser, Member
    Photos would be helpful.
  • I have pics of before and after. can send .
  • onerare39
    Why not post them here, let folks see the product?
  • will do. contrasts are striking.
  • onerare39
    edited October 2019
    Here's a couple of photos that hosea13 sent to me to post.  He will get better photos up later.  Before and after.

• 50C8DAN
    50C8DAN Senior Contributor
    What we need is someone to restore the Hudson serial number factory door tags!

• In case anyone else sees this as just not right, Alabama license plates didn’t have a heart shape on them until 1956. Same for the phrase “Heart of Dixie”  In 1934, the name “Alabama” was across the top of the plate and the year was in the upper right corner. The background color in 1934 was much more orange than shown here.

This might be OK for display only at a show, but something like this should not get past any state’s DMV if someone was trying to use a plate as wrong as this for YOM registration.

Buyer beware

Tom 
  • 40indianssgmailcom
    40indianssgmailcom Senior Contributor
    Also if one looks closely the original plate was 74 which was changed to 34.  The 3 is not quite right but might work in the south
  • BigSky
    BigSky Senior Contributor
    That’s brilliant! I’ve struggled with finding 1937 Montana plates & the stupid state wants you to have a front & rear plate too! I may need your creative help.....
  • 40indian,   Obviously you missed my point.  The first thing I noticed was the change of year.  Then I looked at everything else wrong.  Did I mention the font and the spacing of characters and the numbering system as also being wrong for ‘34?

And, no, it isn’t going to work in the “south”. I’m in Louisiana and we’re not all ignorant, toothless hicks who don’t notice details

Tom 
  • 35 Terraplane
    35 Terraplane Senior Contributor
    I was at a car show about 10 years ago.  There was a guy with 20 or more milk crates full of license plates all sorted by state and year.  You may try this route.  I'm in NY and when I checked with the DMV was told I had to register the plates "as is in original condition".  After I did that found a guy in PA who did a beautiful job restoring them.  Told me he used the original non reflective paints as that was how there were in 35.  I can look thru my paperwork to see if I still have his contact data if you'd like.
  • 40indianssgmailcom
    I had a new plate made for my 1940 Indian sport scout by a business in Florida which is south to most of the u.s. for a very reasonable $125 about 4 years ago.  It was a perfect replica of that year in all dimensions and spacing including height of the stamped(embossed) letters, numbers, etc. as measured from an original.  Coloring was correct also and no mounting holes so one can drill where needed as well as choosing the county, numbers, etc as necessary.  Antique motorcycle plates may be more rare than hen's teeth so this was a great opportunity.  I will find the contact info to post it here for anyone who might be interested
  • super-six
    super-six Expert Adviser
    These plates are cool but I don't know of the legality in each state. You can choose your own number and see how they look.

https://www.licenseplates.tv/usa-state-plates.html

• 40indianssgmailcom
    These are the people I used for my motorcycle plate ten years ago.  The face is actually green and white but looks almost black in the photo although not as bright as the backside.  The colors are true to original plates issued in 1940.  Very acceptable for use in Washington state
  • looks great
  • 40indianssgmailcom
    Thanks am very pleased with the quality and not buying an original to restore
  • 40indianssgmailcom
    I should say finding old bike plates in restorable condition is the hard part