Steering wheel button color

ratwaspratwasp Posts: 54Member
Does the steering wheel 'button' color indicate the color(s) of the interior? or any other color coordination?  
Mine is green, no idea what the original colors of the car was.

Comments

• LanceLance Posts: 839Member
    There was also a red one and a blue one. may be others as well.
  • 54coupe54coupe Posts: 248Member
    Lance is right... Ivory as well.
  • super-sixsuper-six Posts: 281Expert Adviser
    Yes, in a '54 that would indicate the original interior color if the horn button is original. Red would be maroon (leather), ivory would be brown.
  • 54coupe54coupe Posts: 248Member
    The 54 Hollywood we had back in the 70's had an original interior in it... The steering wheel and horn button were ivory. The upholstery was a grayish/tan cloth with tiny white diamonds (SMS reproduces it), and red vinyl, with a white, (or ivory) cloth headliner.
  • ratwaspratwasp Posts: 54Member
    So green horn button indicates a green interior??
  • onerare39onerare39 Posts: 1,029Expert Adviser, Moderator
    edited February 7
    It does on my 54, I still have the original interior.  The colors are a little washed out due to the lighting for the photo.

my steering wheel itself looks like it could be this shade of green, but hard to tell.  
    Do VIN's decode to tell interior color and exterior paint codes?
  • GlowplugGlowplug Posts: 1,874Expert Adviser
    1948-1954 Hudson Stepdown VIN numbers do not contain any trim or color code information.  The upper right hinge on these years was stamped at the factory with the paint codes use on the body that the hinge was originally installed.
  • Ken U-TxKen U-Tx Posts: 3,737Senior Contributor
    Actually in 1954, the paint code was stamped on the serial number plate.
    Is there a decode table any where on the Forum?  I wasn't able to find anything.
  • AnnaCarinAnnaCarin Posts: 36Member
    The Auto History Preservation Society website has color code tables (no trim codes, through).
    Regrettably there is NO PAINT CODE stamped on my serial number plate.  Perhaps it wore off, although the sn and type are still there..