1937 Terraplane Sedan - Pricing Range?

autonut
autonut Member
edited September 2019 in Vehicles
I have a '37 Terraplane that I want to sell.  It is unrestored but all complete.  I looked in the 2019 Collector Car Price Guide that I have and could not find Terraplane listed under Hudson.  Confused!!  Thus thought I would get onto the Hudson Forum.  It is a sedan.  I believe there are two models a 71 & 72.  My auto ID numbers start with a 72. Does that mean it is a 72 and what is the difference between the two?  Was wondering what I would ask for it.  It is not running now but did run when it was parked a long time ago.  Would need a complete restoration. What price guide lists this auto? The Price Guide I have does not differentiate between the Terraplane and the Hudson for some reason.

Comments

• charles4d
    charles4d Expert Adviser
    Posting pictures  would help sell it
  • Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    Yes, it is a model 72.  It should have a "banjo" steering wheel with stainless steel spokes, twin "winged" ornaments on the front fenders, and the step plates should say "Super Terraplane".  Among other things.  The reason it's not running is probably because the valves have stuck in an open position and there is no compression.

Price guides are notoriously wrong.  Best thing is to type "1937 Terraplane for sale" in you search engine, and check around, to see what people are asking for theirs, and what condition it's in.  The best way to determine prices is to find the results of an auction, in which case you'll learn what people actually paid for a particular car.  Pricing of a 1937 Hudson would probably be in the same range as a Terraplane unless the Hudson is a more deluxe car, with an 8-cylinder engine.

As Charles says, a photo would help.  If the car is bedraggled, with dents and rust, and it doesn't run, you are selling under a handicap.  My guess is that, for a 4-door that looks halfway decent and runs, you might ask between $6,000 and $10,000 but it sounds like you're more into the $ 3,000-5,000 territory.  The buyer is going to have to fork out big money in addition to your selling price, in order to have something nice looking to drive around in.  If your car is in need of BIG help, the buyer may be a street rodder (who would also need to invest big bucks).  In fact, someone may buy the car and dismantle it so he could sell the parts.

So, again, look around the internet and do your due diligence, and you may begin to formulate a reasonable asking price.