Clutch Reservoir

Is this where I add fluid for the clutch.  This is a 1923 Hudson Super 6
All the books I have show it under the hood by the steering Column but mine
doesn't have anything there. This view is under the car on the right side.

Comments

• Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    That is the transmission, not the clutch.   
  • Jay_G
    Jay_G Expert Adviser

My 22 Essex has the clutch plug in/on the flywheel.  I am sure your Hudson is the same.  Look at the front of the flywheel, the side with the markings and slowly rotate it.  you will see a plug at some point.  Unless you see a hole where there was a plug.  This was my case, so I filled up the clutch put in the missing plug and a few miles later the clutch died.  They are not meant to run dry which is what the previous owner did.  Well I needed a new clutch anyway.

Jay

• Thanks Jay I will keep looking. I think it is on the other side.  Having a little trouble shifting even though I double clutch it. Lots of gear meshing so I'm thinking maybe I am low on fluid. Sometimes it is a very smooth shift...... I've read you put in 50/50 kerosene and 30 wt oil mix.
  • Jay_G
    Jay_G Expert Adviser
    I don't think I was a clear as I could have been.  It is on the flywheel side that faces toward the front of the car.
  • I took a few more photos see if any of them show the location
    Robert
  • you are looking at it from the back of the flywheel, you need to look at the front of the flywheel.

• barrysweet52
    barrysweet52 Expert Adviser
    Get under the car and remove the half round cover on the bottom of the flywheel. You will find the plugs for draining and filling. 
  • I was thinking the same thing. Just found the inspection hole in the engine compartment where I can see the flywheel. Wonder why they made it so difficult to service this part of the machine?
    Robert
  • Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    RHurst, do you have either an owner's manual or a shop manual for this car?  I'm sure that such things as changing the clutch fluid, are contained in these -- as well as many other procedures you will need to know.  If you've a member of the Club you can go to the on-line Library (at the H-E-T's homepage) and download this literature to your computer.  

I just checked, and the closest owner's manual to yours is the 1925 one.

As to the fluid itself, you can purchase it from Doug Wildrick or I'm told you can use a specific type of automatic transmission fluid (someone will jump in here and tell you which).  Personally, I use Doug's because I believe it contains improved ingredients over the original brew (and it seemed to help my clutch chatter situation).

As to manuals, you might also check some of the on-line antique car manual sellers, then you may be able to find the correct manual for your year of Hudson.
  • rhurst said:
    I was thinking the same thing. Just found the inspection hole in the engine compartment where I can see the flywheel. Wonder why they made it so difficult to service this part of the machine?
    Robert
    Where else could it be? They made it so you can change the fluid, and do most of the work from above the car. If the plug was in the pressure plate, you would have to gain access through the floorboards.
  • I have two shop manuals and a book for the 1921 Hudson. None of them show the fill and drain plugs. I just took off the flywheel cover and took photos from both sides. I do see a small screw at the front of the transmission but doubt that is the correct spot. I am an H-E-T member. Going to the meet in Hershey in a few weeks and hope to meet members that can help me.
    Robert
  • Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    Turn the flywheel round, you will see a   plug on the front periphery.  Has an internal square centre.
  • Glowplug
    Glowplug Expert Adviser
    These pictures are represented as 1917-1926 maybe of help to point out place for drain/fill?

• So it's the 3 (6) holes along the edge of the fly wheel? I guess it does not make any difference between fill and drain just the orientation of the wheel?
  • Very helpful. This is what I found. Only 1 plug and 1 series of 3 holes. Looks like there was going to be another plug but only an indentation. So the one plug works as the fill and the drain?  You must be able to see it in the inspection hole by the steering column in order to fill it. Do I have this right?
    Robert
  • Now you got it,( just like Geoff said.) I always used a oil squirt can filled with the proper amount of clutch oil to squirt oil in housing, cuts down on the mess.
  • bob ward
    bob ward Senior Contributor
    The undrilled boss could have well have been cast into the flywheel to balance the drilled boss.
  • Can anyone tell me how I can manually rotate the flywheel so I can get the plug to show in the inspection hole? I have been hitting the starter to spin the wheel. Can't move it by hand even though I am in neutral.
    Robert
  • Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    Take the spark plugs out.  Lever the flywheel around or turn it by hand.
  • Thank you guys for all your help.  I'm new at this having just purchased my 1923 Hudson. I did figure a way to move the plug in the flywheel to the observation hole for filling. Just put the crank in the motor and turned it until the plug came up. A very easy solution for anyone who has a crank for their engine.
    Robert