Turn Signals 1922 Hudson

What is the easiest way to add turn signals to my 1922 Hudson Sedan. Can you go with double filament bulbs in the SLO indicator or the parking lights? If so then how do you control them. I'm sure someone has worked this issue out long ago.
Robert 

Comments

• Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    edited September 2019
    In general you could go one of two ways:

1). Mount new, small, LED lights in an unobtrusive place, both on the front and back of the car, and wire these separately from any other lights on the car.  You will need to be careful to get 6-volt positive ground (or whatever your ground is).  Then mount a new switch on your column.

2). If the existing red taillights are double filament you may be able to wire them through a modern switch that uses the brake light filament as the turn signal as well.  If they are not dual filament you could possibly install a dual filament socket (though that would compromise the authenticity of the taillight).  However, those red lenses are mighty small.  You might then consider using a dual filament LED bulb that is brighter than the stock bulb, but again you would have to consider matching voltage and ground to your particular car. 

And of course you still have the problem of what lights to use up front.  Possibly you have fender lights that could become turn signals, in which case use LED lamps for more brightness.  Or just mount new LED lights on the front bumpers.

• Jay_G
    Jay_G Expert Adviser

I have a 22 Essex and I have updated the tail light to dual filament.  Brake and running light.  So you will need to convert the socket from single filament to dual.  Restoration Supply has the dual contact base plate rebuild kit that you need to convert the socket.  If you can splice wires or solder you can do it.  They also have a pricy control box that you can buy that does what you need and has labeled terminals to make wiring easy.  Yes, it is overkill if you are just adding turn signals.  But if you want front and rear running light that also act as turn signals as well all the rear brake lights it works well.  It certainly made wiring turn signals into my 37 Hudson with fender lights a breeze. The fender lights operate as the should but also flash, all on a single filament bulb. 

Honestly, there are cheaper ways to go. it really depends on the amount of effort you want to do converting the old single filament system and making a duel system look like original equipment.

Jay

• Thanks Jay your information is just what I was looking for.
    Robert
  • Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    Regarding the 1937 installation: the Restoration Supply switch certainly may offer everything in one package (which makes it easier to put the system together).  However, I used a StepDown switch (the 6-wire type, not the 3-wire) and it worked perfectly.  It has separate wires from the front right and left lights, and routes the rear L and R signals through the brakelights.  The switch (which comes with a clamp) perfectly fits the diameter of the steering column jacket.  Plus, the switch has its own metal raceway, which takes the wires down the column, and it has a cast metal piece that brings the wires from the raceway up under the dash.  I painted the whole thing black and it looks like it was a factory installation.  And, you can make the signals self-cancelling by simply attaching a hose clamp around the steering shaft (the screw on the clamp acts as a cancelling cam), though you must notch the steering column slightly.  You can pick these switches up at Hudson flea markets pretty reasonably.

But it's like Jay says:  you can save money with what I've just described, but in the end you will have to go out and search for all the necessary front lamps, wiring, etc.  It sounds like the kit he describes has everything one would need, without all the running around.
  • Jay_G
    Jay_G Expert Adviser

Jon B, your switch idea works will work for the later cars.  The early stuff has a smaller diameter steering column.  It is also missing the cutaway at the top of the column for canceling mechanism and the steering wheel does not have holes for the pins.  All that said you can make the switch work if you remove the self canceling levers and build the column diameter up a bit. 

I used an old after market switch that somewhat matched the vintage look of the vehicle.  In my case it was a 3 wire switch which works with the magic box.  But you are right the later 6 wire are much cheaper if you want to make you own wire loom.

Jay