Supermatic Drive

Been studying the system as best I can.  I see a pair of large solenoids on either side of the trans and a series of linkages to the throttle, but nothing to actuate the clutch.  What was the mechanism for clutch actuation? I'd imagine it to be a vacuum booster.  Am I missing something? 

Comments

• Ken U-TxKen U-Tx Posts: 3,700Senior Contributor
    The vacuum clutch canister and linkage were probably removed at some point when it stopped functioning. It was hung on the left rear top of the engine and had linkages to throttle and to the clutch throwout lever shaft on the cross-member. You are probably missing the shift vacuum canister and linkage as well. The two "solenoids" you see on the transmission, one on left is the overdrive solenoid, the other smaller one on right is the governor.
    imageimage
  • Thanks, Ken!  This explains why the engine does not have an oil filter as well.  
  • Fred_PitzFred_Pitz Posts: 23Member
    If it would help I've got a nice Hudson Drive Master Service Information booklet reprinted by Clifford Research in 1967.

Would like to trade for a nice pair of outboard rear bumper guards for a 51 Commodore, or make offer, or whatever.  I don't ever want to need it. 

My father's, first Hudson was a 50 Commodore 8 with Super-Matic drive.   I don't think he liked it very much.  The rule was DO NOT EVER TOUCH THE SUPER-MATIC BUTTONS!
  • Ken U-TxKen U-Tx Posts: 3,700Senior Contributor
    Thanks, Ken!  This explains why the engine does not have an oil filter as well.  
    No, the by-pass filters were an optional accessory. I have seen Drive Master and Supermatic equipped cars with the optional by-pass oil filters fitted.
  • Ken U-Tx said:
    Thanks, Ken!  This explains why the engine does not have an oil filter as well.  
    No, the by-pass filters were an optional accessory. I have seen Drive Master and Supermatic equipped cars with the optional by-pass oil filters fitted.
    Well - this has to have an oil filter.  I'll add that to the list of things I need.  

• cheyenne7271cheyenne7271 Posts: 49Member
    Fred Id be interested in that Drive Master Service book as I’m wanting to keep and make my Super Matic Drive work on my 16k mile 50 Super 6, lemme know please
  • Fred_PitzFred_Pitz Posts: 23Member
    cheyenne  I sent you a PM.
  • cheyenne7271cheyenne7271 Posts: 49Member
    Hey Fred, I responded with a price, let me know if that was a good offer. You can call or text 806 sevenate2 258five