splasher oil pan screen

danthemandantheman Posts: 26Member
My 36T oil pan has a section of the oil screen missing at the bottom of the pan. Where can I get some. I assume it would have to be soldered in place?

Comments

• BigSkyBigSky Posts: 363Senior Contributor
    Honestly, I’d consider something along the line of a trap door baffle system, if it’s feasible.  I’m just starting to look into this for my pan to ideally prevent starvation as oil sloshes around or I hit a steep hill or take her over a mountain pass after she’s all back together. 

Heres a video on it:
    https://youtu.be/8eapLmnkErQ

On the factory pan, here is a couple pictures of my pan.  Mine looks like it’s a copper mesh material & just has some tack welds to hold it in place.  Hopefully you can see those in the picture.  If you have yours in hand, try searching on line or hit a hardware store or even an auto parts store as they may have something they remember from a totally different application which may work.  Heck you could even look at a cooking or beer supply house as they may have something to work. 

• danthemandantheman Posts: 26Member
    Yeah mine looks like yours except one of the squares is missing. I guess it would have to be a good grade of screen to be able to  solder it in.  i thought maybe someone had this problem and had a source for screen material. 
  • 35 Terraplane35 Terraplane Posts: 211Senior Contributor
    Try McMaster Carr. Type in the search filed copper screen. They have many mesh sizes and you can get a one foot square piece relatively inexpensive 
  • pmlmbigpondcompmlmbigpondcom Posts: 89Expert Adviser
    G'day Big Sky

looks like that sump has been sand / media blasted
    Beware of trace grit.  Blasting the sump with all of that mesh and opportunity for residual media to remain is something i would not risk.

Take care to clean it well

phil
  • danthemandantheman Posts: 26Member
    Thanks for the McMaster Carr tip. Great web site! Not only found the screen but also some studs and nuts I've been looking for!