'36 Terraplane Pickup Seats

I am well into restoration of my '36 Terraplane pickup, and have a question about seats. It has the original two 2-piece seats (backrest on the wall, cushion on the floor).

With the rusted state of the original floor, it was not apparent how the seat cushions secure to it. Towards the back of the plywood bottom of the cushion (the wood is original), there are indentations from a previous metal bracket having been attached (see pic 2) but those parts are long gone. The Hudson engineers were pretty clever on how they did things, especially making a pickup out of a sedan, but how the seats attach to the floor is not very obvious.   If anyone might know how the bottom of the seat cushion attaches to the floor, it would be greatly appreciated.  I've attached a couple of images to help describe the parts. Thanks!

Tom C, Tucson, AZ.

Comments

• barrysweet52
    barrysweet52 Expert Adviser
    I thought they all had bench seats.

• charles4d
    charles4d Expert Adviser
    I have only seen bench seats
     They hook in the back wall with 2 metal pieces that insert into to hole in the back wall and two pieces of wood screwed into the floor where the seat sits on top to prevent  it from moving my two cents
  • That’s the same way the seat is mounted in the 46-47 pickup. No seat tracks or adjustment.
  • lostmind
    lostmind Expert Adviser
    Those seats look like sedan delivery / panel truck ?
  • 40indianssgmailcom
    40indianssgmailcom Senior Contributor
    Looks to me as though the seat bottom has small flat metal bracket pieces that slide forward into loops mounted to the floor panel and the seat back may mount to the cab back panel vertically in a similar manner.  The seats would not be adjustable however.  I have seen similar mounts in other applications
  • Your seat is the same as my 36 panel, just missing the metal hardware.
  • I thought they all had bench seats.

I was surprised that are part numbers in the Parts List for the two part seats, as well as bench seats.  I had a bench seat I was going to install into the truck, but it came with the original two part seats, so I'm using those. The floor was so rusted out, any mounts for the bottom cushion were long gone. But I believe I have a handle on the configuration now. Thanks,

Tom

• charles4d said:
    I have only seen bench seats
     They hook in the back wall with 2 metal pieces that insert into to hole in the back wall and two pieces of wood screwed into the floor where the seat sits on top to prevent  it from moving my two cents

I have the original hook mounts for the hanging backrests, so I've been able to restore that part, but the mystery to me was how the seat bottoms attach to the floor. But with everyone chiming in, I think I know what to handle it now.  Thanks,

Tom

• bent metal
    bent metal Senior Contributor
    hmm?  Interesting topic.  I too have only seen the bench seat.  But it has to make you wonder when two different commercial vehicles have the same bucket type seats.  So maybe you could option for a bucket over the bench seat?  Check out this old picture, are those bucket seats???
  • bent metal
    bent metal Senior Contributor
    Maybe just a shadow from the roof?  I don't know.
  • Press Kale might be the guy with an answer. His 34 pickup has factory bucket seats.
  • To finish up this thread, I am attaching a coupe of photos which show the correct attachments for these seats to the floor. The section with two holes fastens to the rear part of the seat cushion base, and the single hole fastens to holes in the floor.  These are original and have been powercoated.  So, one less Terraplane mystery.
  • 7XPacemaker
    7XPacemaker Senior Contributor
    I tried getting ahold of Press Kale over something else a few weeks back. I had no luck. The phone just rings...