48-52 Rear End work

While I was on my adventure of the past couple weeks, I stopped at that place in Campbell CA and bought a 4.1 ratio rear third member. It had been sitting in a machine shop for decades, although it appears it was removed at a junkyard (torched off U joint U bolts). I marked the caps and adjusters, and took it apart, and cleaned things up. I removed the pinion seal and ordered a new one, as well as ordering a gasket. I'll wait for parts before I put it back together. The ring gear was stamped with the ratio and date, 4 1/10 and 10 50. It's replacing the 4.56 that's in my 51 Hornet now.

Comments

• Glowplug
    Glowplug Expert Adviser
    Campbell California is also the home of American Motors Haven “or Heaven” a Hudson - AM motors garage started by and operated by Charlie Ackle.  Last I spoke to Charlie he was still operating the garage but had moved to NV.  Same place??? Used to hang out there with old time HETers. (1970s to late 1980s) while on trips west for USAF duties.  Good times and great memories. 
  • squirrel
    squirrel Member
    edited August 2019
    This was an old machine shop, it was mostly cleaned out...but still a lot of "stuff" left, including esoteric stuff like a piston grinder, etc. There were not a lot of Hudson parts, but he still had a straight 8 engine, and a few transmissions. I think he had them priced a bit too high.

A few more pics, I put it back together. I got a pinion seal 450087 from rockauto, it seems to fit just fine.