Cutting Valve Seats?

BigSky
BigSky Senior Contributor
edited August 2019 in HUDSON
I picked up a Neway 3 angle valve seat cutting kit for my Hudson engine and have been trying to determine the widths & placement of things and how to do the 3 angle valve job on the original seats which only have the 45 degree angle currently.  So please share what you can to help guide me down the correct road with this process. 

To begin with I’d read a few articles and found a “general recommendation” which said to go with an intake seat width of 0.040-0.060 inch and exhaust seat width of 0.060-0.080 inch.  Additionally, I’d read the placement of the contact width on the valve was equally important.  The articles stated the intake seat width should be closer to the top of the valve’s 45 degree cut & the exhaust seat width should be in the middle of the valves 45 degree cut.  

In the Neway manual it recommends cutting the 60 degree 1st then the 30 degree followed by the 45 degree, is this the best way?  Does anyone have a recommendation for the width of the 30 & 60 degree cuts or are they just dependent on getting the 45 degree cut where one needs it?  Thanks guys!