Need some help

PaulButlerPaulButler Posts: 842Administrator
As part of the on-going maintenance of the sites there are always background things going on. I have installed a later version of the software that the forums runs on over in the test system (testopenforum.hetclub.org) but now need people to go in there and see if they can break.

I already have one volunteer in the shape of David Young but could do with a few more just to post things in there and ensure it behaves in the same way so if you want to please drop across and have a play. Login details etc. are the same as for in here and the posts in there are as of midnightish 19th August.

You will notice that it looks different as well, that is just an idea I have so comments around that will be welcome.

So if you can drop across and have a look , please post comments etc. in here including any bugs you may spot.

At some stage I need to bring this site up to that release however because it's a reasonable upgrade in the back-end I need people to test.

Thanks 

Comments

• GlowplugGlowplug Posts: 1,757Expert Adviser
    Paul looks great! I could not positively determine if ... recent discussions ... will continue to stay connected to my log in so that each sign in comes up with the last search preferences. Otherwise great change. 

• RL ChiltonRL Chilton Posts: 5,131Administrator, Moderator
    I didn't see any issues or bugs with it, Paul.  Looks good.  
  • PaulButlerPaulButler Posts: 842Administrator
    I didn't see any issues or bugs with it, Paul.  Looks good.  
    Thanks for that , I keep on plugging away :)
    Glowplug said:
    Paul looks great! I could not positively determine if ... recent discussions ... will continue to stay connected to my log in so that each sign in comes up with the last search preferences. Otherwise great change. 
    Thanks for looking. Everything should remain as was when you log back in , that is one of the things I'm looking for. The appearance of the site is somewhat different to this one of course but I think it has a fresher look however I'm not one for change for change's sake

• Jon BJon B Posts: 6,928Administrator
    edited August 20
    Okay, I tried inserting a couple photographs but only saw some thumbnails. Did I succeed in finding a bug, or was this test webpage never capable to uploading photos?
  • ESSX28-1ESSX28-1 Posts: 1,351Senior Contributor
    I was easily able to separately post both a comment & full sized photo.
    Process worked well, without hesitation ( I've experienced previously).
    New looks appears clear& nicely laid out.
    Jon B said:
    Okay, I tried inserting a couple photographs but only saw some thumbnails. Did I succeed in finding a bug, or was this test webpage never capable to uploading photos?
    Thanks Jon , trust you :) The "Attach a file" option that appears under a comment isn't there (at the moment) so I was using the button in the bar above the comment line that looks like a boulder going down a mountain (I have no idea why!). That works just fine for me.

I'll look into why the hyperlink doesn't appear
    ESSX28-1 said:
    I was easily able to separately post both a comment & full sized photo.
    Process worked well, without hesitation ( I've experienced previously).
    New looks appears clear& nicely laid out.
    Thanks David , I'm going to do some more testing in the background but I'm looking to maybe release this towards the end of this week/ start of next week
  • PAULARGETYPEPAULARGETYPE Posts: 1,760Senior Contributor
    PAUL IT LOOKS GREAT TO ME ALSO AND I MUST OFFER UP A LARGE THNAK YOU TO YOU FOR ALL OF YOUR WORK ON KEEPING THINGS ALL UP TO SNUFF WE ALL OWE YOU A GREAT THANK YOU 

PAUL IT LOOKS GREAT TO ME ALSO AND I MUST OFFER UP A LARGE THNAK YOU TO YOU FOR ALL OF YOUR WORK ON KEEPING THINGS ALL UP TO SNUFF WE ALL OWE YOU A GREAT THANK YOU 

Thanks Paul, keeps me out of mischief (sometimes)
  • Paul - I've modded and adminned BB's, forums and FB pages for 20 years.  What's nice about this forum is you can easily embed full size photos.  Many HET members are older, and links/thumbnails aren't intuitive.  Thank you for finding/managing a format which allows the big pix, as picture are indeed worth a thousand words.  

Finally - it's not easy being an admin.  Thank you for that!  
    Thanks for your comments @ChuckSherman, I can't take all the credit for it as I inherited ownership of the websites a few years back and have tried to maintain the high standards they set with , hopefully, some success :)

As a forum this is very neat , based on Vanilla who have a wide ranging membership that like to try out new features. Some work and others don't but as a free offering you really can't beat it.

As for easy being an Admin, it has its moments for sure but generally I do enjoy it