51 Hudson Wire Wheel Hub Caps?

Hi Folks!  

I have been helping my dad go through his 40 yrs of car parts that he has accumulated.  I believe these hubcaps are for a 51 Hudson, but I am not certain.  If someone could help my identify these and their value, I would be greatly appreciative.  They have over 40 yrs of dust on them, but would likely clean up fairly well.  Looks like a couple of the centers have some bumps/bruises.

Thanks
Nate

Comments

• Glowplug
    Glowplug Expert Adviser
    Those are Hudson accessory bolt on caps.  The caps were available for Stepdown Hudson’s from the dealer. 
  • railknight
    railknight Expert Adviser
    edited August 2019
    Those Hudson hubcaps are shown on the front cover of the October, 1953 issue of the Hudson Service Merchandiser.  On the cover it reads, "Hudson Wire Wheel Disks....most important new Accessory for 1954."  As for value, perhaps someone who has had these and sold them in the recent past can give an idea on price.   
  • Thanks for the replies!!  You are guys are quick!  It took me a while surfing the net just to hone in on them being a Hudson, but couldn't find much info!!    I'll get them cleaned up and get a better health assessment on them.  I hopefully can get these into someones hands that can benefit from having them.

Thanks
    Nate
  • Glowplug
    Glowplug Expert Adviser
    The caps show as part of Jan 1954 accessory spot in the monthly service merchandiser.
  • Thanks for the info guys!
  • ski4life65
    ski4life65 Expert Adviser
    as for value, I would say anywhere from $150-$300 a set. Clean them up and see what they look like.

• Glowplug
    Glowplug Expert Adviser
    If you decide to sell the set for <$300 contact me!
  • bull_islander
    bull_islander Expert Adviser
    I paid $250 for a pair recently (dent free).  Which included retainer caps that bolt to the rim.  Do these have the retainers?  It will help your value as you can't use the caps without them.  Also read into this that I'm still looking for two, lol.
  • Browniepetersen
    Browniepetersen Senior Contributor

If there is a bidding war....  I am all in.

• I need two please if you decide to sell , or if necessary I’d buy all four, thanks,Dave 
  • Hello All,

Thanks for the interest.  A fellow forum member pointed out to me some issue's with the retainers.  (See attached pics).   I am going straighten out the retainers that need some love and post pics back up for all to see.   My father is a skilled sheet metal fabricator has a slew of machine available to him that should straighten the 2 questionable ones right up. 

I did give this gentlemen the right to first refusal, so I'll certainly keep all apprised of their status if he chooses to pass.  I would like to sell 4 together. 

Anyway - I just want to be upfront and forthcoming, so everyone knows what they are or aren't.

• Hey everyone.  We finished cleaning up and repairing the hubcaps.  We fabricated a new inner disk on the caps that had wallowed out holes.  
  • 2manyprojects
    2manyprojects Expert Adviser
    what are you asking for them ? send me a PM thanks
  • Just wanted to follow up that I have a sale pending on the caps.  Thanks!
    Nate