Vacuum wiper motor

hudsonsplasher1
hudsonsplasher1 Senior Contributor
I've cleaned out all of the old grease and what would be the best lube before I put it back together?

Comments

• dave s
    dave s Senior Contributor, Moderator
    Neetsfoot oil
  • hudsonsplasher1
    hudsonsplasher1 Senior Contributor
    Thanks, Dave s
  • Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    I've used neatsfoot oil for years but I keep hearing people suggest brake fluid.  Has anyone discovered that brake fluid is now the better choice?

Also: neatsfoot oil helps keep the leather seal on the inner paddle, supple.  But are there other parts of the mechanism that need lubrication of a different sort? 

I've always removed the wiper motor (in my pre-war car it just takes a few minutes to pull out) and put the neatsfoot oil in "on the bench".  But is there a quick and easy way to insert the neatsfoot oil while the motor is within the car?  I'd be afraid that it would eventually get suctioned through the line into the motor, and do some damage.
  • Val
    Val Member
    I used 3in1 oil but a member of my local chapter says use marvel mystery oil. He swears by it says it makes them work great!
  • Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    A modern alternative is red silicone grease.

• Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    So, you guys are suggesting to use either red silicone grease or marvel oil within the wiper motor (to lubricate the leather seal)?  I'm not sure I can pull the grease into the port the same way I can do so with neatsfoot oil, because it's not in a liquid state.
  • Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    No, you have to dismantle the unit to  lubricate it properly.