Jag IFS in my Hudson

I rearranged the shop so I can get the front suspension out of the Jag, to put in my 54. I thought I would document it here.

Comments

• lets see if I can post a photo...image
  • Kdancy
    Kdancy Senior Contributor
    Location ?

• TwinSupercharged
    TwinSupercharged Expert Adviser
    I am very interested in your IFS conversion and hope you will be able to post your progress along with pixs.
  • Kdancy said:
    Location ?

My back yard. So.Cal.
  • 40indianssgmailcom
    40indianssgmailcom Senior Contributor
    I have xj6 ifs and IRS in my 47 pickup, also using jag 4.2 liter engine with a gm 350 trans
  • 40indianssgmailcom
    Also I would suggest saving the jag front frame rails as this has the attachment locations for bolting the ifs in just as jaguar did it.  Saves a lot of fab time
  • 40indianssgmailcom
     The jag IRS is much simpler to use if you retain the cage and could almost bolt in.  One other advantage is Chevrolet bolt pattern for wheels
  • I looked at useing a jag front end for my 49. But by the time you pul it out, strip it down & rebuild it. Fab up what ever. then make it work with bags nice....
    Was easier and cheaper to get a MII front end made up to my cars specs, ride height and style etc that suited the cars weight, no bump steer etc.

Just a thought before you go ahead and try to recycle an old 30+ year old jag setup.
  • 40indianssgmailcom
    From a dollars and cents perspective a complete jag xj6 for $200  has virtually all I needed to upgrade a 47  pu to ifs, irs, and true twin h power with dual oh and dual cabs.  The truck is approx 1400 lbs lighter than the jag with 254 cu in inline six so should drive quite nicely.  While I admire your project it is way over my budget but to each his own
  • I will be using the Jag. I tend to drive my cars a lot, and this will be my daily driver when completed. I like the idea of being able to buy replacement parts at the local parts house when needed, and knowing that anything relating to the front suspension and front brakes is from the same application, so it all works seamlessly together. I don't have much confidence in a Ford Pinto (Mustang II) suspension holding up the front half of a 3600+ pound car. The Jaguar IFS suits the Hudson well, and with hundreds of thousands of them produced, and on the road, I think it will be a long time before there is any shortage of replacement parts. I have a Hudson with an aftermarket front end under it. It works very well. It has a Mustang power rack, Ford rotors and bearings, Chevy calipers, and Chrysler ball joints, with Aldan coil-over shocks and custom tubular upper and lower control arms. If my daughter, who now owns the car, and lives 1800 miles away, needs anything for that front end.... That's kind of a mess.
  • bent metal
    bent metal Senior Contributor
    That quarter would be easier to fix if it were off the car.
  • That quarter would be easier to fix if it were off the car.
    I can't get to the mounting bolts.
  • This is the donor carimage
  • Front end is out of the Jag
  • Will the rear mounted rack clear the 308 oil pan? I do not see any black widow spiders today.  
  • Will the rear mounted rack clear the 308 oil pan? I do not see any black widow spiders today.  
    I won't know for sure until I get it in, but preliminary measuring leads me to believe it will.
  • bob ward
    bob ward Senior Contributor
    Several Jag front suspension swaps have been done In Australia, many of them by Paul Kelly in SE Queensland. The swap transforms the step-down driving experience, its like driving a modern car.
  • Kdancy
    Kdancy Senior Contributor
    Wonder if Paul would do a "write up" on it ?
  • bob ward
    bob ward Senior Contributor
    As I recall its relatively straight forward. The Jag IFS is a complete sub assembly with 4 attachment points that coincide neatly with the step-down front subframe rails. The outside of the step-down's coil spring 'bulge' needs to be removed and plated over to allow room for the Jag IFS spring tower.
  • Kdancy said:
    Wonder if Paul would do a "write up" on it ?
    what do you think this is?
  • The Jag front end is all apart now. I had the crossmember media blasted, then I painted it black. I rebuilt the brake calipers. (remans were from $75-$500, and I got kits for $6.50 each) I will put up some photos when my tutor is here to show my how to do it again.
  • I’m going to try and post a photo.
  • It worked! I’ve got the crossmember all painted. I will begin reassembly this week.
  • Rebuilt, four piston calipers.
  • Posted on behalf of 54Coupe

All dimensional measurements and fitting are completed, see chalk lines on floor. The Jag front cross member has been reassembled with all suspension components. The existing Hudson suspension will be unbolted and removed along with several rivets to be ground off. The top spring cap will have to be cut parallel and flush to the outside frame rails for clearance. Only four welded mounting points for the Jag cross member, all to the front fork frame rails. Fabricated and welded special top shock mounts on cross member,as the original Jag mounted them onto the body. The steering rack seems to to be free and clear with easy access for linkage to the added Cadillac steering column. More to come.

• Thank you TwinSupercharged, for posting the photos.
  • 40indianssgmailcom
    The upper shock mounts are quite different than the originals from the xj6 that I modified to use on my 47 pickup. They look good.  I also found with my pu that I needed to extensively modify the inner fender panels for clearance for the shock mounts and to retain a resemblance to the original style
  • I bought the upper shock mounts from a chassis builder in Australia, and he mailed them to me. My research showed that a lot of guys in that part of the world were using them. He also supplied me with a part number and application for shock absorbers to work with these mounts.
  • So here is the first side cut out and the spring top pocket removed. There were five welds and six rivets that had to be removed.