Uh oh , is this engine ruined ?

I got this engine many years ago from Fred Garrity. Today I popped the head off to find this. It’s stuck won’t turn over but look at the area between those valves , not good yet they still seat . Is this a saveable engine? With that relief cut in there is it a 7x ? Thanks,Dave

Comments

• Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    If the seats are still OK then there is no reason it should not be usable.   Even if the seats are bad it could be fitted with inserts.
  • It's rust, not a crack, eh? I would not expect any problems from that....aside from all the rust....

The later engines all had the relief cut, didn't they? the two I looked at recently, a 53 and a 54, both have it.
  • See how the area between the valves has been eroded away , that’s my concern.
  • The whole engine looks scary with all that rust. You'd want to grind that area as smooth as you can, of course. I'd be worried about getting the pistons out without breaking the cylinders, and how deep the pits are in the cylinders. Rusty engines are generally a big pain.

• Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    No reason not  to use  with the depression between the seats, providing the seats themselves are okay.
  • Thanks