1947 Hudson pickup fender welting

Hi.  I know that pickups came from the factory in only three colors —-Black, Gun metal gray, and Belvidere blue .  I’ve spent most of the last 40 years working on Studebakers.  Studebaker painted the fender welting to match body color and I’m wondering if Hudson did the same thing with vehicles painted other than black.

When I restored my pickup 20+ years ago I used black fender welting. I am considering repainting my fenders, and as long as the fenders are off, if the welting should be anything but black, I’ll paint that body color also.  

Comments

• Uncle Josh
    Uncle Josh Senior Contributor

Welt, you could check restorationspecialties.com and see if they have anything

• Thank you for the reply, but the question was not where to buy welting, but rather “Was the welting painted body color if the body was other than black?”
  • 40indianssgmailcom
    40indianssgmailcom Senior Contributor
    I am also looking to find fender welting for my pu, preferably something close to the body color.  I know I can make welting using Naugahyde with a cord but I was looking for something similar to the vinyl type that vw bugs used in the 60's & 70's.  As the rear fenders will each need a piece about 8 feet long the vw welting is o2short.  Any ideas as to a source to obtain the vinyl type?  Color could be an off white or pale grey. Thanx
  • Glowplug
    Glowplug Expert Adviser
    Search for fender welting .... lots of sources 

one:

http://stores.restorationspecialties.com/fender-welt/
  • No fender welting at all on my 46. 
  • lostmind
    lostmind Expert Adviser
    No fender welting at all on my 46. 
    I've seen many more without than with.