1928 Super 6 model s Coupe

Just bought this 1928 Coupe from a deceased estate need some advice about finding a Gas Gauge, how to move seat back, and any other important things to do before recommissioning. I believe this car was bought at Hershey a few years ago so any help with its previous owners would be helpful. Many thanks John from South Wales UK.

Comments

• Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    Looks like you made a good catch, John!

Providing the car's body serial number to the person who keeps the 1928 registry, would reveal any past owners -- so long as any of those past owners bothered to contact the registrar with this information!  If you are willing to give the number here on the forum, then maybe one or two of us could look it up for you.

If you are not yet a member of the Hudson-Essex-Terraplane Club, I would suggest you look into joining.

As to parts or information you need, go ahead and list it here, and you may be able to find some answers. Is the gas gauge malfunctioning, or is it simply missing from the instrument cluster?
  • Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    Seats were non-adjustable in 1928, but you may be able to  shift the mounting holes.  Not sure on that upholstery!!!!!   Fuel gauge, was originally hydrostatic liquid type, and I have never seen one that either worked or was in one piece.  Best to change to electric if you can find  one.   1929 unit will interchange with a bit of tweaking.   Contact me if you need any tech info.
    Geoff 
  • When I bought the 1913 model 37 from Pete Beynon's estate I could not resist this, his latest 1928 coupe as its originality and rarity was overwhelming. It joins a 1920 kit of parts I have for some years, which I hope to build into a racer, Pete sold me a 1920 engine and box from a  Brooks auction sale many years ago, and a rolling chassis from Alabama bought on E-bay.  Geoff might still have a diff for me under his bench. Fuel gauge is broken at the back, will try to fit an electric or otherwise. Seat needs to be raised and the parcel shelf removed to give more room.  Here is the chassis number 22995; engine number 525285, have not yet located body number yet. Many thanks to all. 
  • Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    That chassis number indicates it is an early series 1928.   The dash panel and window surrounds were originally wood grained, and upholstery was cotton velour, with leather as an option.  Picture is of a 1929 dash, but '28 was identical.
  • ESSX28-1
    ESSX28-1 Senior Contributor
    I've got a '29 fuel gauge in my '28 Essex Coupe & it looks original (much better than a modern electric). You need to fit an appropriate sender unit to the tank as the original hydrostatic sender won't work with the '29 head. Either use an original '29 sender or some modern one will work with this gauge.
    Let me know if you need a photo.