1st Time Hudson owner - 51 Hornet

Greetings from Oklahoma,

I just purchased my 1st a Hudson, a nice solid original, running and driving 51 4DR Hornet, going to pick it up Sunday. I plan to keep it original and bring the mechanicals up to spec.  I'm a 1960's Cadillac guy, but always loved the look of the 48 - 54 Hudsons. Looking forward to learning all about the inner workings of these beauties.

Comments

• BigSky
    BigSky Senior Contributor
    Welcome to the Forum & Hudson ownership!  The forum is extremely helpful & a wealth of knowledge from the many people here. 
  • Glowplug
    Glowplug Expert Adviser
    Great purchase you will find a way to many answers to questions about your car on my website.  https://hudsonrestoration1948-54.com/  Great to have you on the forum 
  • charles4d
    charles4d Expert Adviser
    Beautiful  looking car
  • onerare39
    onerare39 Expert Adviser, Member
    Great looking Hudson.  I'm partial the roofline of the sedans.  Lots of folks here to help you along the way, here too HETCLUB.ORG 
  • Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    Congrats on your purchase, and welcome to the Forum.  Hudsons really aren't that different mechanically from other cars of the era, except for a quirk here and there (like Hudsonite in the clutch).  To avoid unpleasant complications, bring your questions and problems to the Forum before you go consult a local mechanic!  Also, obtaining parts can be daunting until you realize that there is a large network out here (the H-E-T Club) of parts sellers, and of owners who reproduce hard to find items or manage to unearth treasure troves of scarce parts.

I would of course suggest that you join the Club and that you contact the nearest chapter so that you can perhaps make contact with local Hudson owners.  This comes in handy when you need firsthand technical help, or you need to buy or borrow a spare part in a pinch.  You would live within the Dust Bowl Chapter (unless you're near a state border, in which case one of the adjacent chapters might have its meets closer to you).  The Dust Bowl president is Kermit A. Denton, Jr. and he will probably know where their next gathering is.   xxxsdenton@pldi.net  (delete the xxx before sending)
  • Love the car, I might be close enough to you in Lubbock, TX if you need some advise, parts and service. I have 8 Hudson’s and have been around them all my life. I also know some people that have pars cars if you need anything 
  • ohhhh.. now a big old caddy motor would be ace in that 51!
  • Thanks for the warm welcome guys, got her home today and already had some questions answered with the search function. I'm sure I'll have many more once I dive deeper, looking forward to take you all up on your offers of assistance!

No! No!.....lol...I love Caddy power, but am really intrigued with this big 6, she's going to be a stocker.

No! No!.....lol...I love Caddy power, but am really intrigued with this big 6, she's going to be a stocker.
    dont worry you will get use to me saying such things to every new guy. Its just to keep the old boys on there toes. There is a twin supercharged Hudson lurking about here that is ace and I would love to have lurking under the hood of a project.