Hudsonite...

is not on the shelf at my local gas station like it would have been 80 years ago when my Terraplane was new. In the absence of new factory fresh clutch oil what substitute would be best?

Comments

• tombia
    tombia Member
    Most anyone that sells Hudson parts sell Hudsonite.
  • Kdancy
    Kdancy Senior Contributor
    edited June 2019
    Ford ATF or Dextron 3 is used by many in place of the hudsonite.

• Doug Wildrick sells new fresh Hudsonite. No need to resort to other things. 
  • Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    I second the emotion!  Accept no substitutes.  Get Doug's.  
  • charles4d
    charles4d Expert Adviser
    Doug the man to see
  • railknight
    railknight Expert Adviser
    I recently put in a can of Doug's clutch fluid in my '53 Super Wasp.
  • Huddy42
    Huddy42 Senior Contributor
    Kdancy said:
    Ford ATF or Dextron 3 is used by many in place of the hudsonite.

DO NOT USE FORD as it boils at a lower temperature and causes slipping when hot.
    Dextron 3 is the way to go. But, if you  can get it from Doug go for it.
  • Kdancy
    edited June 2019
    Huddy42 Posts: 1,224Senior Contributor
    Down Under we use Automatic Transmission oil and have done for about 20 years, the best one we have found is Dexron 2 or 3.

I Have two Hudson's running with this oil and never had a problem, most of the HET members Down Under use the same ..

shadetree Posts: 25Senior Contributor
    I'm for the dexron. I used it in my 51 commodore, replaced a good 262 at 50000 miles with a twin H 308 crate motor in 1956. Drove this car from 1956 til 1966 with dexron in the clutch, changed every 5000 miles, pulled my 16 foot Shasta travel trailer to the mountains several times at 65 mph in overdrive, 600 miles round trip. 11 mpg with trailer and 18 mpg without trailer, never a clutch problem. The trailer always had a load of camping supplys and in the car were 4 adults and 4 children. Not many cars you would want to try that in now. 1956 i sold this car to my brother and was still a good car. The automatic transmission fluid worked for me.

SuperDave Posts: 3,356Senior Contributor
    Les,

I have often thought the same. Dexron has the right balance between friction coeficience and lubricity. (SP?). If it can take the heat of the clutches in some of these modern transmission clutches, It should work well on leather and cork. You just made up my mind to use it next change. I am sure there are those that don't want to experiment with an unknown, or might say. "If it worked in the fifties it's good enough for me". I think there have been some great advances in lubricants in those intervening years between then and now. Which remiinds me of the story of the guy that put STP in his Model T Ford differential. It worked so good he tried it in the engine! Not so good !!!

Dave W. Fl.
  •  Drove this car from 1956 til 1966 with dexron in the clutch
    interesting...Dexron was introduced in 1967.

• Kdancy
    I think it was just a reference to automatic transmission oil.
  • I expect so....back then, Type A was used in just about everything except Fords. But still, memory is a fun thing  :)