Internal Engine Cleaning

BigSky
BigSky Senior Contributor
My 1937 212ci 6 cylinder engine is still in the coupe but it’s down to the block, crank & cam still in it, but pistons are out for re-ringing.  A good friend told me to clean the troughs in the block as well as the areas which have the holes to feed the crank & cam bearings.  
What process is suggested for doing this?

I tried to use a rag to no effect thus it came down to using my fingers to get out as much as I can.  Found a little bit of gritty things which had me hold off on doing a solvent rinse of these areas, I didn’t want to wash anything down the holes to the bearings.  I was able to reach the end bearings oil feed holes but not the center one. 

Im trying hard not to pull the engine but I do have concerns about what may be down the holes already, let alone what I could flush down there.  Certainly appreciate the thoughts. 

Comments

• Uncle Josh
    Uncle Josh Senior Contributor

Bite the bullet, pull the engine and get it on a stand where you can deal with it.  Pull the crank.  I always hesitate, but I'm always glad I did.  Flush all that old stuff out of there.   I'll bet the main bearing clearance is out of spec, Gotta make sure the thrust washer is behind the front of the cam (sometimes damaged or gone)  Inspect the timing gears and the front crank seal and spacer.  Check the valve guide clearance, grind or lap the valves.  Otherwise you're always gonna wonder about what you didn't do.

• Kdancy
    Kdancy Senior Contributor
    Follow Uncle Josh's advice, you will be glad you did!
  • BigSky
    Over the weekend I tried a couple things with some good success.

I have a wireless bore camera with led lighting that I can use with my iPhone, picked up at Amazon a while back.  The clarity is pretty good & I can see the troughs & the bearing oil feeding holes.  I also used my pneumatic brake cleaner to suck out any thing needed.  Below is the front bearing which was clean to begin with.

• Bigsky, looked on Amazon and saw about 8 bore scope cameras between $30 and $40. and a couple around $100. Curious which one you might be using. I would opt for the lesser ones just to have it available. Let us know.
  • BigSky
    I scored mine of Amazon for $35, I don’t recall the brand.  It is wireless to my phone, actually pretty decent unit.  I was able to confirm the center main drain holes were clear & flowing mineral spirits last.  Without it I’d never know.