Rear main bearing engine oil leak Essex super six

Have a bad oil leak from the rear main bearing on a 29 Essex.  The bearing clearance is .002" - .003" and the drain hole and tube are not plugged.  It's not dripping, it's running out in a constant stream.  I didn't think that much oil would pass through that bearing.  I think the drain tube just won't handle the flow but there must be something not correct to allow this much oil to get into the outer oil collecting trough.  Any ideas as to what is wrong?

Comments

• oldtoys
    oldtoys Member
    Was thinking about this again, and the only way for that much oil to get by the bearing is where the bearing shims are.  There is a space between the shims and the crankshaft where oil could freely flow out in quantity.  Was there any packing to seal this gap near the back side of the bearing?  Would like to get someones advice before putting something in there that's not correct.
  • Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    There should be packing up in  the holes between the bearing cap and the block, each side.  Mop string is the best. Use a blunt punch and force it up  and hammer it in tight. However, if this was left out it should not result in a real flow of oil, just a slight leakage.   No harm checking.   I have tons of string if you need some.  Have you dropped the bearing cap?   could be something blocking the channel at the back.  
    Geoff 
  • oldtoys
    oldtoys Member
    Geoff,
    The rope packing was in there and couldn't think of anything I missed so pulled it apart again only to find the drain hole was plugged again.  First time I took it apart the hole was plugged so used less gasket maker in that area the next time, but it still got in the drain hole somehow.  Third time together now it hasn't leaked a drop.  Was only the drain hole being plugged that caused the leak.  It's amazing how much oil goes through that bearing.  Thanks for the help.