WTB 1939 Hudson Steering Box

I am looking for a 1937, 38 or 39 Hudson steering box. If anyone can help it is certainly appreciated. Thank you.

Comments

• Kdancy
    Kdancy Senior Contributor
    edited May 2019
    Do you have a box or missing completely?  They can be rebuilt.
  • No I do have one but it is very sloppy. I just had the car down for two years and I was looking for a quick solution to make it comfortable. I thought that having the car down for a day was better than maybe two or three weeks. Is there someone that you might recommend to do a rebuild on the box? Thank you for your reply.
  • Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    Many years ago Steve Sessions showed me an adjustment screw on the side of the box, which tightened up the play a bit.  Is there any mention of that in the shop manual?

Also: you're sure that the play is in the box itself, and not elsewhere in the steering system, such in the tie rod ends?

Unfortunately, some years ago the street rod community discovered that the 1937 Hudson steering box was desirable, so now there is much more demand for these than there is a supply!
  • I replaced all of the tie rod ends. I am pretty sure that my box is tired and sloppy. I looked for the adjustment screw and couldn't locate one. The manual says that I have to slice off or separate shims. As mentioned earlier the box is tired which is why I want to freshen it up. 
  • jjbubaboy
    jjbubaboy Senior Contributor
    Hey Terraplanepilot,
    you can have the rebuild done by Lares Corp by going through rockauto.com also.
    Jeff
  • bob ward
    bob ward Senior Contributor
    If you have the steering box out of the car its a simple matter to open it up and have a look at the innards, figure out how it works, how to adjust it etc, they are not a complicated device.
  • tombia
    tombia Member
    There are 3 diff. adjustments that can be and properly made. 1.  Where steering shaft goes in box. 2. Alighment of the sector shaft to the steering shaft and3. The sector shaft in and out.  I would myself just call Lares and talk with them.