Head gasket installation question

railknight
railknight Expert Adviser
I'm going to be replacing the head gasket on my Super Wasp 262 engine as it has developed a few very minor leaks.  The replacement gasket is a Felpro product and it has a mirror like metal surface unlike other Hudson head gaskets I've seen that have a more textured surface.  My question is will the silver paint (Rust-Oleum) I plan to spray on both sides of the gasket adhere to this polished surface and stay in place after torqueing the head bolts?

Comments

• Don't use that gasket. They are junk. We have Best (brand name) gaskets. Composite material that seal way much better.
  • railknight
    Thanks for the head's up regarding this head gasket.  I was a bit skeptical on using it and was curious if anyone had had prior experience with this brand and type.
  • ratlee2
    ratlee2 Expert Adviser
    I have used the silver ones that came with my gasket sets.  I have had no problems with leaks, but I use a couple heavy coats of coppercote on both sides of the gasket and allow to become tacking before installation.
  • Kdancy
    Kdancy Senior Contributor
    edited May 2019
    I use the copper coat as well. Good stuff!
    Also from felpro
    Do not use copper spray or any other coating, adhesive or RTV on the Fel-Pro 26190 PT head gaskets. They feature a proprietary blue coating that helps seal micro-imperfections, allowing these gaskets to seal surfaces as rough as 60 Ra
  • Kdancy
    Kdancy Senior Contributor
    edited May 2019
    And I would add, proper torquing and re-torquing is the most important part of head installation to me.
    Assuming one uses a known accurate torque wrench!
  • RL Chilton
    RL Chilton Administrator, Member
    Kdancy said:
    And I would add, proper torquing and re-torquing is the most important part of head installation to me.
    Assuming one uses a known accurate torque wrench!
    I second that and what Russ Maas said.  I've got a stack of the smooth gaskets on the shelf collecting dust.  
  • railknight
    Too bad Best Gaskets doesn't reproduce the '51 - '54 wide block 232/262 head gasket.  To be sure, there are a fair amount of NOS ones out there, but you wonder what kind of shelf like these gaskets have over time.
  • BigSky
    BigSky Senior Contributor
    I would love to have a new Best Gasket available for my 212ci 6 cylinder!!
  • railknight
    I contacted Best Gasket and spoke with someone about reproducing the head gasket for the wide block 232/262.  He told me there just isn't the call for that gasket and that the tooling cost to make the gasket would run from $3000.00 to $4000.00.  They would need an order of at least 50 to begin to make money and even that number probably wouldn't be worth the effort.  Perhaps there's more of a call for the 212 head gasket.