How much grease to use in Stepdown generator ?

Rob Fayette
Rob Fayette Expert Adviser
edited May 2019 in HUDSON
I am trying to sort of refurbish a stepdown generator.  The Hudson Shop Manual says to " Soak bronze bearing in commutator end head in engine oil and pack grease pocket with high temperature grease.  What exactly is the grease pocket? Does "pack" mean pack it completely full?  If I remember right, one time I put a lot of grease in the round hole behind where the armature shaft rides and it ended up getting in the commutator segments and stopped the generator from working.  In the pic I included here,it shows this big open void underneath where the commutator shaft rides.  Is that the pocket?  Are you supposed to pack it completely full of grease? (you can click on the pic to make it larger).  I know you already know that LOL.
Thanks for you help
Rob

Comments

• Lance
    Lance Member
    Rob use the sealed version of this bearing.The origional had to be lubed periodically but with a shielded and sealed bearing you're good to go. The oilite bearing just needs to be put in oil for a day or so before installing.The oiled fairly infrequently.
  • Rob Fayette
    Rob Fayette Expert Adviser
    Thanks Lance.  So what you're saying is the bronze bushing in the commutator end only needs oil infrequently and no grease at all. The ball bearing in the driven end should be a shielded sealed bearing that needs no lube at all?
  • Lance
    Lance Member
    Rob yes, you can go with the origional bearing (  MRC  203S or NDH  3203 ) or use a bearing that dosen't need lubrication(   SKF  6203 ZJEM  or SKF 6203 2RST).