Alternator Pulley for 1951 308

Hey all!

My 1951 Hudson Hornet did not come with a generator/alternator on the engine at all (when I purchased it...I'm sure it had one at some point, lol).  So, since I'm converting the car to 12v as I fix things, I bought a new 12SI alternator and will be fabbing up a bracket for it soon.  My current issue is, I need to find the right size pulley to put on the alternator since I don't even have the old generator pulley to compare/try.  The one it came with is the smaller belt size (5/8, I think).

Does anyone have a part number or dimensions for a pulley that should work?  Is it a 3/4 belt?

Thanks in advance!
Ryan

Comments

• Glowplug
    Glowplug Expert Adviser
    Sent you and email
  • GrimGreaser
    GrimGreaser Senior Contributor
    I believe this is what you'll want: https://store.alternatorparts.com/247100-pulley-1-groove-v-belt-for-delco-agricultural-industrial-marine-alternators.aspx

I have one that I used on my 10si, I will find it and check it out. Available, if you're interested.
  • RichardD
    RichardD Member
    edited May 2019
    I am using the smaller belt on my car. The Alt. pulley is about 3-3.25" in diameter, I think. You will need to be sure your alt. pulley is lined up with whatever is driving it. I have a/c & power steering  and I had to take 2 WP pulleys and weld them together to have ratio and line up I needed. Anything can be done. Also be sure to have 'swapping' permission when you get one. Also you might have to change belts 2-3 times to get the correct one lengthwise.
    My Alt is located below the power steering in the photo {click img number to enlarge}.
  • Thank y'all!  I feel much better about what I've found online and will make an order shortly.  I'll probably come back here and document how I do the complete setup (alt, pulley, bracket, etc).

Thanks again!
    Ryan
  • ratlee2
    ratlee2 Expert Adviser
    GrimGreaser is right on with the pulley.  It is what I used for my CS130 alternator swap.