rear axle nut

48super6
48super6 Senior Contributor
Does anyone have a source for the correct castellated rear axle nut on a 1948 Super 6? Or do you know the thread size?
I took off the passenger side and needed an 1 1/4" socket.  I then took off the driver's side and it needed an 1 1/16" socket.  The threads are the same.  Unfortunately, the one one the driver's side is split.
Also, any sources for the outer axle seal?
Thanks!

Comments

• 3/4-20 thread

• Axle Spindle Nut (1948-Early 52 Hudson)

Purchased through ebay

Manufacturer CES
    Part# CSN

3/4"-20 (uncommon thread)

Interchangeable with the following:
         67-69 Camaro
         64-72 Chevelle
         63-82 Corvette (rear)
         63-68 Corvette (front)  
         Some 46 & up GM cars

You will not find this nut in a hardware store or Fastenal.

• Wheel-Axle Grease Seals (Outer Rear)

NAPA / SKF
    CR17310

• I would rather find a good used nut...and I might be in the market for one, myself. As well as an axle shaft with good threads. Seems someone who worked on my 51 at one time, bunged up the threads a bit.

Are there any good sources of used parts like this, aside from knowing someone with a parts car?

• Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    Two thoughts:

1). Dorman makes such a nut, sold thru auto stores like this: https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/dorman-pik-a-nut-spindle-nut-kit-3-4-20-contents-nut-washer-and-cotter-pin-3049931/3493202-P

2). Squirrel, the classified ad section of the WTN is a good source for general suppliers of Hudson parts.  If a vendor tends to list a number of used parts, he would be a good bet for supplying a spare axle shaft.  Actually, you might want to note your location, because long-time Hudson owners tend to collect lots of spares, and someone who reads this (and lives near you) might have one cheap, that you could pick up.

• squirrel
    squirrel Member
    edited May 2019
    That spindle nut is not really designed to hold a rear axle on, even though it is the correct thread and is castellated. I would not use it for the rear hub, at least.

I live in southeast Arizona...apparently this forum is set up to not display location information.

Thanks!

• Glowplug
    Glowplug Expert Adviser
    Sq... my website has a listing of Hudson parts vendors https://hudsonrestoration1948-54.com/

on on that listing is Al Saffrahn RUST FREE western sheet metal and tons of Hudson parts and cars, Engine, transmission and overdrive rebuilding is his specialty. Phone 520-568-2911  He is off I-8 between Tucson and Phoenix