Higher rear end gear ratio for stepdown

Ricko
Ricko Member
I would like to use a higher gear ratio for my manual shift w/overdrive '54 Hornet than the 4:11 that came with it. I would like 3:55 or 3:73. Has anyone made this conversion? Can a GM rear be used? Thanks

Comments

• I'd think you'd want a Ford or Mopar rear, with the same wheel bolt pattern? GM didn't use 5 on 4-1/2" wheels.

And if you want to get rid of the 4.10s, what will my 4.56 gears be like? yikes

• bob ward
    bob ward Senior Contributor
    In 54 Hudson started using the Dana 44 diff, it has also been used by most of the car makers over the years in different ratios, so lots of ratios available to go into your housing. 
    Most automatic Hudsons were using a 3.08 rear end, some were in the mid 3.xx range. Easiest swap is to find a 54 back axle of the ratio you want.
  • Kdancy
    Kdancy Senior Contributor
    edited May 2019
    I think Hudson used the dana 44 in 52. Some early 52's were still using the Hudson built rear ends.   The next one I do I'll go to a late model dana 44 posi 3:55 if standard shift. Maybe even a Ford 8.8. 
    Also depends on if you are in "flat" country or mountains. Seemed like Walt put a very high ratio (in the 2's) rear in his automatic trans 53. 
  • Lance
    Lance Member
    Kerry, Try a local Jeep dealer. They still used  Dana 44's  in a number of Jeep vehicles present and past and can get you a ratio of about anything you want.
  • Kdancy
    Kdancy Senior Contributor
    Lance, I found a dana 44 19 spline 355 posi carrier from another car and installed that into the rear for the 52 wasp sedan I am working on. 
    Here is a list from Hemmings and article. 
    https://www.hemmings.com/blog/article/dana-44-differentials/

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Ricko
    Ricko Member
    Thanks to everyone for your help!