carburetors on a twin-h-setup

Hi to all,

i´m just wondering if the two carburetors on a twin-h-setup have to be the same. On my 1952 Hudson Hornet they look identical expect for one small hole in the choke valve (see attached pictures) On one carburetor there was a little tag (it´s a Carter WA-1-749S) On the other carb the tag was missing.

My other question about the carbs: the engine was running at idle and i looked into the carburetors. On one carb i saw the gasoline coming out of the upper nozzle. On the other carb there was no gasoline coming out. When i opened the throttle on both carbs the gasoline is flowing out of the lower ports.

Anyway, the engine is running good when warmed up. I tried to synchronize the two carbs with the uni-syn tool. My first attempt failed...it was not possible to get the carbs synchronized. In my desperation i changed the two carbs. The one in the front to the back and the other to the front...and it worked!

Your help is much appreciated!!!

Thank you so far, Marco

Comments

• Glowplug
    Glowplug Expert Adviser
    You can find information on the TWIN H carbs on my website.  The 749 was originally used by Hudson on the single bbl one carb inductions.
    https://hudsonrestoration1948-54.com/

• Jay_G
    Jay_G Expert Adviser

Simple answer, yes, the carbs should be the same in every respect.  The best way is to tear them down and look at the numbers on the jets and needle rods.  While you can may run with different carbs is will never live up to its full potential.

Jay