Clutch heats up and bad things happen

JasonNC
JasonNC Expert Adviser
I have had a issue with the clutch engaging roughly ever since I started driving this car.  I have changed the clutch fluid a few times and last week I flushed the clutch with acetone and lacquer thinner, put in some fresh Hudsonite, and it seemed to help for a day or two.  When I was driving it earlier this week, the clutch must have overheated because I couldn't get it to go into gear without grinding.  The clutch pedal went to the floor and didn't come up.  I had to drive home in second gear and ran a few red lights in the process.  Once the car cooled down, I was able to change gears.  I've decided to bite the bullet and purchase new pressure plate, throw out bearing, and clutch disk from Dr. Doug.  Wish me luck. 

Comments

• You probably will need to have the flywheel face refaced as well. Also look at the linkage and pivots in the bell housing and other linkage. These things wear and put slop into the motion. Need to put in new bushings and weld up and redrill clevis pins while everything is apart. 
  • hudsonguy
    hudsonguy Senior Contributor
    When I had to do this once, I bolted my flywheel/clutch assembly to a piece of plywood and sent the works to Dr. Doug. What you get back is a perfectly done clutch assembly, because he can machine/adjust each piece so they work together as they should. I later checked that replacement clutch after about 30,000 miles, and everything was still perfect with the clutch disc showing only a few thousandths of wear. Good Luck.
  • Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    I'm curious: after the car cooled down, did the clutch pedal come back up?
  • JasonNC
    JasonNC Expert Adviser
    Yes it did Jon.  I was even able to crank it and change gears while sitting still.  I'm afraid to go back out into the streets again until I get this problem remedied.  
  • Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    By the way, I may have missed this, but did you give the year of the car?  It might be that there is some sort of clutch quirk that's unique to your year.
  • JasonNC
    JasonNC Expert Adviser
    hudsonguy said:
    When I had to do this once, I bolted my flywheel/clutch assembly to a piece of plywood and sent the works to Dr. Doug. What you get back is a perfectly done clutch assembly, because he can machine/adjust each piece so they work together as they should. I later checked that replacement clutch after about 30,000 miles, and everything was still perfect with the clutch disc showing only a few thousandths of wear. Good Luck.
    I take it you put it a box after attaching it to the plywood.  I am going to call Wildrick Restorations tomorrow to see what arrangements I need to make to get to them.  
  • JasonNC Remember Dogwood Chap. Gathering at Lances this Saturday.
  • JasonNC
    JasonNC Expert Adviser
    I have already spoken to Lance.  I hope to see you there...

• hudsonguy
    hudsonguy Senior Contributor
    Jason, yes I put the works inside a box.